Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I made a deal. When we decide to have another little one, I get another toy..I know.. :lol:

For you current Prowler owners--Would you get another Prowler or look into the Rhino or Teryx ?
I would like a good "overall" machine. Trails, cargo, speed, power, comfort, ergonomics, dependability.
I would go with a 700-750cc model.
I know this is a Prowler board and you guys know what they are all about.
A co-worker has a 660 Rhino and loves it. We rode together on the Hatfield McCoy. It did great.
Saw a couple of Teryx's in action too. They look pretty good. Have not seen any Prowlers out there.
Thanks,
Adam

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'd like to hear this from exixting owners as well. I am very partial to A/C, but all comments are welcome of another machine is better suited.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I guess I will start this off!! I own a 2008 XTX 700 EFi Prowler. I had the hole front diff with the poorly welded pin. My diff failed, I think this is a 2008 issue only. I should also state that this is my first cat anything! I understand that manufacturing problems happen. I called cat about this issue because I was concerned about this happening again. I was amazed when I got a call back from the regional rep. He stated that he was going to my dealer to look at my machine and get it handeled. I was happy with that and just waited. Then he called me back stating that the new front diff was on the way and I would have to pay nothing. He said they would get me going ASAP. I have been a happy Polaris owner for years and still am. I never had that type of service from a manufacturer. I bought the Cat because of one reason over a Ranger, it fit better. I am very long legged and the Cat gives me more room. With all that being said that is the only problem I have had. I have cut and hauled firewood with it, I moved 1 yard of rocks to my back yard with it, I have been on many trail rides and it has done great. I have climed over more logs and rocks than something this big should ever do. I have posted questions about the Bevel gear issues but that just a question. If you take the skins off the machine and look at how its built it looks good to me. Now I know some will just trash the machine and say that they are junk but I can't say that. Everything is going to have some kind of problem and these things are just fine. The motor (700 H1) starts great in all conditions. The belt drive works great. The ride and suspension is great, I think its a good machine. Could it be better? Yes, everything has room for improvement. Just my honest oppinion of the machine. I now catch my self wanting a Thundercat. This hole Cat thing is very addictive!! Cat happy

·
Registered
263 Posts
I almost forgot the most important thing Rockerdude Buy a CAT they are an American Company. Support American manufacturers. Support CAT. :ridepride:

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
[attachment=139632:Ditch_Pi...the_mud_.JPG] I got a 2009 xtx 700 and absolutly love it! It had a oil leak issue which seems to be resolved now and other wise has been trouble free! When I had issues, the dealer was excellent on getting it repaired. I ride with my buddy who has an 2008 xtx and he loves his as well, I also ride with a rhino, a razor, and 2 teryxs. The rhino I ride with is a 700 and is chipped and piped and can't keep up to a stock cat. Razor is fast but lacks ground clearance. The 2 teryxs I ride with are nice but lack ground clearance and run like crap until they warm up as they are carbed, no fuel injection. If I bought another one, it would definatly would be another cat, they are truely impressive machines! Here is a pic of mine!

Goon

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
The better suspension is the Ranger HD (but is pretty expensive with power stearing and self leveling rear suspension) . The T-Rex as the least better suspension of the bunch. The Rhino and AC offer the best work transmision because of the clutch set up you will get longer belt life with Rhino or Prowler. But it all depends on what you do with it and were you run it and how you run it. So happy shopping !!!! :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
totally depends on how you use it, i have owned 2 rhinos before purchasing my first prowler, so far i have had 3 of them, right now i have a 2009 700 xtx and a 2010 1000 xtz i found the prowler to be a more versatile machine, if you like speed the 700 will take you as fast as you should go, if you want to mud then you will love the ground clearance and the low range, diff lock, etc. if you want to work it then the large frame, width and dump bed come in handy, the rhino seemed like like more of a machine to blast the trails with but was limited in the other areas, in sep this year i rode the paiute with a 550 flatbed and my 700 spent 4 days on the trails and carried everything we needed with loaded prowlers i did not lose performance as i have in the past with the rhinos, i do not know anything about the teryx, if i bought another utv it would be another prowler, they cost too much to experiment with an unknown, if my prowlers were lacking in some area i would consider another manufacturer, i would love love power steering but would rather add it to my prowler than to buy a polaris, i have nothing against the polaris i just would not take the chance that i would lose capability in some area that the prowler has, mostly all machines are good nowadays it boils down to usage and personal preference, best bet is to go for a ride with someone who has these machines and decide for yourself

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My Prowler is a great all around machine but there are a few thing that I would like to change. First, they are kinda loud inside when above 15-20 mph since the engine is only covered by a thin plastic cover. Two, I have a 650 so the rear is in full lock all the time which maks it a little more difficult to turn but the 700 has a turf saver rear end so it would be better. And three, if you plan on putting on a cab enclosure don't get the Arctic Cat one. They don't seal up real well and let the cold in. I think Best Top makes one that is cheaper in price but much better quality. Other than the small issues I listed the machine has been great. I use mine for hunting and around our resort. It rides pretty good on the trails and does very good in the mud. For 2 people its easy to spend a whole day riding around with the bucket seats. The Polaris has a bench seat which is great if you want to bring a third person with but they have no legroom to stretch your legs and the bench seat is like sitting in the back seat of and older extended cab truck, very uncomfortable for rides longer than an hour or so. Other than that the Polaris is pretty good at makeing a nice machine if you can get past the name. Myself, I would buy a 09' Prowler 700XTX and the Best Top cab enclosure if I had to do it again.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
i have a 2008 prowler xtx love the cat but would i buy one agian ? HELL NO the dealers are going out of bizz so fast its not funny then they find some GREEDY ass dealer about 100 mile from where you are then still treat you like :turd: :turd: :turd:

BUY a ranger better network out there as far as dealers :imo:

/

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goonski @ Nov 19 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[attachment=139632:Ditch_Pi...the_mud_.JPG] I got a 2009 xtx 700 and absolutly love it! It had a oil leak issue which seems to be resolved now and other wise has been trouble free! When I had issues, the dealer was excellent on getting it repaired. I ride with my buddy who has an 2008 xtx and he loves his as well, I also ride with a rhino, a razor, and 2 teryxs. The rhino I ride with is a 700 and is chipped and piped and can't keep up to a stock cat. Razor is fast but lacks ground clearance. The 2 teryxs I ride with are nice but lack ground clearance and run like crap until they warm up as they are carbed, no fuel injection. If I bought another one, it would definatly would be another cat, they are truely impressive machines! Here is a pic of mine!

Goon[/b]
so what is on the other end of the winch cable pulling you out ? a ranger ? I dunno

/

·
Registered
120 Posts
Bobcat makes a cool ride that accepts about twenty attachments. A true utility vehicle. But my 08 xtx is such a sweet ride that I could'nt imagine going with anything else. It has been given the torture test since I moved to the hills and only has had a rear diff seal leak in over 200 hrs. :ridepride:

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (azcat2008 @ Dec 2 2009, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goonski @ Nov 19 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Goon[/b]
so what is on the other end of the winch cable pulling you out ? a ranger ? I dunno

/
[/b][/quote]
thats not cable, its a stainless steel rod for pushing ranger :lol:

·
Registered
263 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (leftysqueeker @ Dec 5 2009, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (azcat2008 @ Dec 2 2009, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (goonski @ Nov 19 2009, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Goon[/b]

/
[/b][/quote]
thats not cable, its a stainless steel rod for pushing ranger :lol:
[/b][/quote]

:lol: I love it Cat happy Thats some funny :turd:

·
Registered
392 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fortfoto @ Dec 5 2009, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Bobcat makes a cool ride that accepts about twenty attachments. A true utility vehicle. But my 08 xtx is such a sweet ride that I could'nt imagine going with anything else. It has been given the torture test since I moved to the hills and only has had a rear diff seal leak in over 200 hrs. :ridepride:[/b]

Yes but thts also 40+ grand

·
Registered
344 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (azcat2008 @ Dec 2 2009, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i have a 2008 prowler xtx love the cat but would i buy one agian ? HELL NO the dealers are going out of bizz so fast its not funny then they find some GREEDY ass dealer about 100 mile from where you are then still treat you like :turd: :turd: :turd:

BUY a ranger better network out there as far as dealers :imo:

A Ranger :rofl: Good luck! :rofl:

/[/b]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts