Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can help me with my 650 H1. When starting the engine kicks back and that causes the starter to be turned backwards. This results in broken teeth on the starter gears or the starter pinion. I am certain that the ignition timing is to far advanced for some reason. I switched out the following parts and no difference. Flywheel CDI coil. I ohmed out the stator and pickup sensor. All well within spec. Next I switched out the stator and pickup sensor even though they tested fine. Guess what it runs great. However after about 2 hours of running it is doing same thing again. Replaced stator and once again runs fine for 2 hours. Replaced it again good for 2 hours. Don't see anything wrong with the stator or pickup and they test fine when checking the resistance. I see where others have similar issues with kickback and busted gears and starters but have not read where anyone has identified the root cause. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Administrator
42,579 Posts
It’s called a starter clutch. It’s bolted to the back of the flywheel. It is basically a one way bearing that won’t allow your engine to kickback and destroy stuff. Yours is shot.

Black Rectangle Font Monochrome photography Darkness

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked into that. The one way bearing is fine. The purpose of the one way bearing it to allow the starter to turn the engine in the direction it normally turns. Once the engine starts running it cannot drive the starter because of the one way bearing. However if the engine turns backwards it will drive the starter. When the engine kicks back it is turning backwards and that drives the starter and damages the gears and starter. I am convinced that for some reason the timing gets to far advanced.

·
Administrator
42,579 Posts
Photograph Jaw Organism Line Font

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The starter torque limiter is a way to prevent damage to the starter and gears which I my consider however we are still not dealing with the root cause of why the ignition timing has advanced so much. This motor ran fine up until now and didn't need a torque limiter.

·
Administrator
42,579 Posts
It worked fine because the torque limiter was working. Now it is not.

·
Administrator
42,579 Posts
Starter clutch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts