Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here with a quick question, I have stumbled upon on a sled down the street from me. The seller is wanting $350.00 and it is a 1990 Arctic Cat Prowler 440 with a broken Lower U joint. The seller claims it runs good, but he can not find the Lower U Joint for the front ski.

Now the question

how hard is it to find a ball joint for this sled? I have tried the site sponsors and I might have found one from cat-masters. Any where else I should look?

Is the asking price from the seller sound about right? What should the selling price be for that year and model sled?

Was the 1990 prowler 440 a good sled back in the day or was it a bucket and I should stay away from it, and find something newer with less headaches to deal with?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I had a 1990 prowler 440 and I loved that sled .. no the best looking ... but a strong runner .. as to the parts i wouldnt know . But any sled that old is going to need some t/l/c

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would look at an auto parts store for the lower ball joint. If you look at the ball joints, they look like something automotive. I would bet if you took the balljoint into NAPA they could match it up.

I didn't have that sled, but I had Panteras with the same front end. The sleds darted really bad until I set them up with Bergstrom skegs with ski savers. Night and day better

Good Luck.

·
Registered
524 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Magic Carpet Ride @ Dec 22 2009, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Very little issues with the 90 Prowler. I bought mine new back in 90 and still have it. My son rides it now. 8,000 miles and still ticking. Cat happy[/b]
X2 Have the same sled and both my kids have learn to ride on it. Are Prowler has almost 9000 on it, and starts everytime.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you are talking about the steering heim joint I should think you can get one at an arctic cat dealer.Depending on the side and placement it will be a left or right hand thread.That shouldn't be a hard one as thru the years they used the same or close in size.I would take the old one in and match it up.
Kerry

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cut 1" from the head pipe, and you pick up 7 horsepower!!

Those sleds used to rip when you had the right clutching. There used to be a yelllow green primary spring that was one step too stiff. Cut your top end by 5-6 mph. Used a purple, I think, and it was the best. 50.5g cam arms(agressive, non hammer end), I think?. Stock helix.
Engage around 4500 rpms full shift at 8200.

Check the welds in the skid frame. Especially the rear arm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts