Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was mentioned by kev that if I go to a 6 tower primary clutch I should look at going to slightly heavier weights. I haven't taken the old weights out yet to see what was in there but it has a yellow spring. The sled is completely stock. I'm not looking to change anything as far as the performance goes.

Edit....I've just been doing a bit of reading and it sounds like the 500 can be a bit of a dog out of the hole with stock clutching. I don't plan on doing any jetting, exhaust or airbox work but is there something I can do to the primary to improve the performance a little without having to change anything else? Sled is going to be used for ditch banging and riding fields. I'm not looking for big top end speed.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
340 Posts
You only need to change weights if you buy the big pin clutch. Personally I would stick with the stock clutch set up and drop a tooth or 2 on your top gear in the chain case, that will give you a decent hole shot. You will loose a bit on the top end but if your going to be ditch banging and field riding you wont notice it. I have a 600 with a stock clutching and a 19 tooth top gear and it will easily lift the skis off the ground. If you want to spend a bit more money have a look at a complete clutch kit, spring, weights and helix. You can buy a kit from royal distributing, give them a call and they will set you up with what your looking for. Others will more that likely chime in with recommendations on clutching.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You only need to change weights if you buy the big pin clutch. Personally I would stick with the stock clutch set up and drop a tooth or 2 on your top gear in the chain case, that will give you a decent hole shot. You will loose a bit on the top end but if your going to be ditch banging and field riding you wont notice it. I have a 600 with a stock clutching and a 19 tooth top gear and it will easily lift the skis off the ground. If you want to spend a bit more money have a look at a complete clutch kit, spring, weights and helix. You can buy a kit from royal distributing, give them a call and they will set you up with what your looking for. Others will more that likely chime in with recommendations on clutching.
I need a whole new clutch. My stock clutch is pooched. I have someone selling a 6 tower that will load it with weighs and spring of my choice.

I have read about changing the gearing and I still have my chain case apart from doing the drive shaft bearing so now would be the time to do that also. Would I have to change both gears or just the top?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
340 Posts
You can change just the top, bottom or both, your choice. I had to change the chain also because I dropped the top sprocket buy 2 teeth and kept the original bottom gear. It was time for a new chain anyway.

According the the parts manual the stock gearing is 20 top and 39 bottom for your sled, you could change to 19 top and 40 bottom and keep the original chain if its in good shape. You could also just change the top gear to 19.

The stock spring for your sled is yellow/green, not sure what the stock weights are.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did they specify if this is the 'large pin' clutch? It was suggested I go 3 or 4 grams heavier on the weight over the 'small pin' clutch. I did that with my ZRT and seems fine to me.
I'm not sure. I've just asked. Apparently the stock weights are 51.5 grams with yellow/green spring. So if it's large pin go up to 55ish grams?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
5000 is generally a good engagement for a 500, so based on what nivelives says 55 grams would be in the ball park.

I ran my 500 with a little lower engagement since I was mostly trail riding, and didn't want a harsh engagement.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've found a calibrated 9 tower that came off of the same year and model sled with 1100 miles on it for $145 shipped. The guy selling the 6 tower says cat has only ever had small pin and wants $195 shipped. It has 1000 miles on it. I'm going to buy the 9 tower and then use the money I saved for some new gears.

Thanks for all the help guys

Dave

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
on my 02 500 , i drop the needle one clip, yellow white primary, polaris 49 weights, yellow in the 4 hole and a 50/47 helix ,with 19 /39 with a new chain, also 1 1/2 turns out on the fuel screw with good results

1 - 13 of 13 Posts