Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i decided to make a build thread so people can just help me along the way and keep all the information in one place as best as possible.

To start we have a 1988 WildCat 650 we've dubbed the barn Cat.

Current issues are
Broken Speedo

Incorrectly Adjusted Track

DSC_0230.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

Random cracks and damage to the hood
DSC_0211.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

cracked/broken front bumper

DSC_0209.jpg

classic seat damage

DSC_0212.jpg

clutch side cylinder is leaking at the exhaust connection

DSC_0245.jpg

What I want to do :
Upgrade Skid to 97+ skid frame Note: although if my only option becomes using the 91 donor skid from the other sled i picked up (will post that in 2nd comment) or a 96 zrt track I will do it. But ideally if im going to go through all the work a good 97 Skid would be how i want to go.
Get rid of stock clutch setup get something a little better like a 91+ clutch setup in there.
fix the damaged fiberglass and refinish the hood + replace front bumper
Repair seat

in the future may rebuild entire engine

Current parts ordered:
speedometer cable (12/18)
Comet 108 4-pro Clutch - I believe it was 217600 i purchased (12/24)
have a 91 donor skid or a 96 zrt skid but holding off til i can find a 97+
ordered both the service manuals just to have them.

Any information or tips any one can offer are greatly appreciated. if i missed any relevant information or you need more feel free to ask me.

thanks - Yooper88

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So here is the donor sled i picked up for next to nothing. Didnt come with much They kept the belt and the pull cord is broken hoping to get it rewound shortly and will see if it can do anything or its just going to be a part out. need to figure out how to attach the hood. Its a 91 550 ext special is what the dealer told me.
DSC_0246.jpg DSC_0248.jpg DSC_0255.jpg DSC_0254.jpg DSC_0253.jpg DSC_0251.jpg DSC_0265.jpg DSC_0266.jpg DSC_0263.jpg DSC_0262.jpg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
if any one has a good link to best price on some clutch weights. calculations i get say 45.7grams but i see posts suggesting 47.5 gram weights. i see them for varying prices but seems about $25 per weight. Not sure if i could get away with a 3 pack and just find 1 more weight?

im also thinking yellow spring or yellow green. So any recommendations between the two are appreciated.

edit: would these work if i go with a 49.5 and 44.5 id get 47g wondering if this is the right style and if doing something like this to get the right final weight would work?
1577219944256.png 1577219973172.png

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow thats a lot of info. i wouldnt even know where to start. if you were buying cams for this what would you buy?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
This is from post #4 of your other 650 thread. "Comet recommends a A-18 cam (52.7g. Weights) with a Comet red spring in the primary" I would start with this recommendation, then you have a base line to start with. You want to stay in the 8000-8200 rpm max. That's the max rpm with the best HP/torque for those engines.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is from post #4 of your other 650 thread. "Comet recommends a A-18 cam (52.7g. Weights) with a Comet red spring in the primary" I would start with this recommendation, then you have a base line to start with. You want to stay in the 8000-8200 rpm max. That's the max rpm with the best HP/torque for those engines.
Yes, Im removing the 108C clutch and going to put on the 108 4pro which uses the 4 weights. So have to do the whole weight x 3 x 0.285 i believe.

I can get a red spring no problem. I just thought the later 90s went to a yellow is what everyone said worked the best? Baseline right now with the 108C is 52.7g with Red Spring its much better minus i havent gotten it lifted up to tighten the track. But im looking to setup the 4 pro

Spent all day working on the 550 got to where it has no spark will make another post about that.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Yes, Im removing the 108C clutch and going to put on the 108 4pro which uses the 4 weights. So have to do the whole weight x 3 x 0.285 i believe.

I can get a red spring no problem. I just thought the later 90s went to a yellow is what everyone said worked the best? Baseline right now with the 108C is 52.7g with Red Spring its much better minus i havent gotten it lifted up to tighten the track. But im looking to setup the 4 pro

Spent all day working on the 550 got to where it has no spark will make another post about that.
I thought you were going to run the 108c for a while? I have no experience with the 4 pro. Here is a calibration sheet. http://www.gtcmanufacturing.com/Comet-102c-108c-Calibration-Guide.pdf

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought you were going to run the 108c for a while? I have no experience with the 4 pro. Here is a calibration sheet. http://www.gtcmanufacturing.com/Comet-102c-108c-Calibration-Guide.pdf
im going to run it for right now until i can get this 4pro in. With the newish red spring in it doesnt seem bad at all. Do you think based on the pics i should clean it up any more?I thought about just using the 108c as a backup. between the 550 parts and that should have a few things i can use.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
will a 98 zl 500 skid work? or a 01 zl370? any of those post, any of those 97-99 zr or zl models? i see quite a few of them locally being parted out with skids and tracks still. So curious if those would work for me for the suspension upgrade. if anyone has any info on which ones i can use or cant use. Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so i was able to find a set of clutch weights hopefully they work, they were listed as "4-Pro KG 46g Set of 4 Primary Clutch Weights" with the description of

KG 46g CLUTCH WIGHT

QTY: 4

PART NUMBER:

KG

FITS:

12mm MOUNT WIDTH COMET 4 TOWER CLUTCH

MAY FIT OTHERS

so hopefully these work. Got them for $10 shipped off Ebay.

So now if these will work for me. I'll just need to find my Clutch springs... im thinking of still running yellow in the secondary, just not sure if i do want to go red or not in the primary.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
All you can do is try it. When it comes to clutching, there are 3 words to remember; Test, test, test.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts