Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to this site and everyone has told me to check out this site, i have recently purchased a 07 trv 400 and have been having a few problems the throttle was getting stuck when i first used it on a hunting trip i thought maybe it was because of the cold weather? but not to sure it was very cold and lots of snow about 10 degrees in the sun and about 28 in of snow other than that no problems that was in nov. 14, 06, i havent used it untill march 18, 07 i took it out for a short ride about 15 min into the ride it died on me i finally got it going again about 5 to 10 min later. turned around a headed for home and it died about 4 more times before i made it home it would start after a few mins, i could hear it when it was about to die because it would start poping out the exhaust sometimes if i just turned the switch off then back on it would just start back up but i still can not be sure if its the switch, but i had no problems with the throttle thats a plus but now i have developed a new problem, could it be bad fuel? i was almost empty when i parked it and i filled it up with premium fuel, it runs very strong untill it starts to die so i dont think its the fuel but it wouldnt be the first time i was wrong.... so i am going to take it in to the dealer but not for a week or two so untill then...any suggestions? i could use some help....thanks

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sounds like it may be running rich, flooding the motor and your having to wait for the fuel to evaporate before you can restart. This also would explain the backfiring. Need to get the carb in to be checked out

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
are you turning or anything of the same jester when it quits? my old 400 had a loose plug by the steering shaft and when i turned hard right it bleu my ign fuse. just a thought mabey shorting out?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My bike flooded last week, gas started coming out of the overflow tube every time I tried to turn it over, should I take it in to get serviced, well if I did have a cat dealer..lol? It ran fine after I let it sit for a bit... Any problems that can occur?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would start out with draing the fuel.It could have gotten stale or had water condendation inside the tank.Upon adding fuel,I would suggest putting in some sea foam.This addidtave will help clean your carb etc and is a fuel stabilezer.Also check into installing a new plug.If you had some bad fuel,it could have fowled your plug.If these don't cure it take it to the dealer.I suggesst doing these things before hand as if any of these problem have occured it will not be covered under warenty. I would suspect they would tell you it was due to negleagence or impoper maintaintace if your carb was gemmed up due to old fuel.Good luck and hope you getting running.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Yep, what farmer said. I would run some sea foam in the gas. I might also suggest installing an inline fuel filter. They are only $5, but can be a lifesaver. Also check for a wire that is grounding out. Turn your ignition on but don't start it. Have it in a dark garage, and you'll likely hear it arcing and maybe even see it in the dark there.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
If you left the machine sit for several months in cold temperatures with an empty tank, you're inviting condensation problems. I'd say you might just have water in your fuel. Get some gas line antifreeze (a couple ounces should do) and put that in your fuel tank with the fresh gas. See what that does for you. Another thing you can do, is to pull the fuel line off of the carb and drain some fuel out of the fuel line/tank into a clear container. It might give you a clue if your fuel is contaminated. You might have to run the machine to pump fuel out of the tank. Not sure if the 400 has a fuel pump or not. Pump out a good quart or so and let it settle in a clean jar. If it's clean put it back in the tank. Look closely for dirt as well. It doesn't take much to block a jet. Let us know how things turn out. Good luck.

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
First off, welcome call to Arctic Chat!
This is a great site and if you have a problem, someone has had the same thing happen or something close to it.
A stuck throttle happens when it rains on your quad and then the next morning has freezing temps, it happens to all brand of quads. I'm guessing this was your problem as it happened to me. It takes awhile to get the moisture out of a cable.
Next thing to check before a dealer trip is that it has a carb drain screw on the right side, just unscrew it a turn or so and collect the gas in a glass container. If it has water, you have found the problem. If it's clean, a trip to the dealer is next and they will figure it out. What really helps on this site is that once your problem is cured, let everyone know what it was. Backfiring out the exhaust could be 2 different things; 1 lean condition or 2 intermitten spark, like mentioned before, an ignition wire might be exposed but (I really dont think so, they had a problem with 04 quads and it should be totally fixed by now) Your carb is not gummed up, it's way too new for that, maybe something inside the carb is out of whack and needs attention.

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Also when it quits, try taking the gas cap off and see if it starts.

·
Registered
782 Posts
hey tiger i thought the backfire was a rich condition mine will backfire after a wide open rip, pull off the throttle and its coming lol
like Modn said try taking off your gas cap a friend of min had this his tank vent was stuck closed

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I had a similar problem with the engine quitting... seems the fuel tank vent line and the carb vent line got mysteriously pinched !?!?!?! Remidied the problem, and haven't had the problem since... as for the throttle cable... take a look at the routing.... look to see if any of the cable ties or clips that hold the cable in place may be too tight and causing a little restriction... seen this a few times on dirt bikes... also see if you can find a syringe and squirt a little lite oil down the cable....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts