Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short, I was out playing in some mud when I took a left when I was suppose to make a right and fell in 4ft of peat moss! Anyone who has driven threw (or tried) moss knows how hard it is, and how easy it is to sink! Just one big suction. Anyway, the whole front end of the bike was submerged for 3hrs until my buddy could get his 4wd truck to it with 60' of chain, lol. Bike power was not getting my H1 out! When I was driving it home I did not hear the fan turn on once, could I have blown my fuse? If so what fuse is it? Thanks,

·
Administrator
8,655 Posts
I Know Its Says Fan On Fuse Block 08 650 h1 15 Amp
Get With Sanny And Get The Circet Breakers And Never Worry About It Again
I Have Them In The Main & Fan Cat happy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By time I got home I was frozen and it was pitch dark out, I just put the bike away. I just hope its a fuse I could pick up at any auto retailer, seeing I don't have a AC dealer anywhere close to me.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I have an '07 650 H1. The fuses are clearly marked on the fuse box (Fan is 15amp)
While riding last weekend, I submarined the bike in a nasty mudhole up to the racks! I had to be winched out but kept the engine running. After 20mins I was back on dry trail but my fan would not come on. I have Sanny's mini circuit breaker installed but still no fan. I installed a standard 15 amp spare fuse but no luck. I had to limp out of the bush by shutting the bike off and letting her cool off every 20mins or so.
I took it in to the dealer and he confirmed that my fan was cooked! A new fan costs $245 Cdn plus labour..ouch! eekkk I had him order the fan and just accepted the fact that I was gonna be out over $300 dollars. Then my dealer reminded me that I might have some time left on my "Cat Care" warrenty. Low and behold, I had 4 weeks left on the card! Cat happy So now I'm only out the $50 deductable! Woo-hoo! Maybe head to Bass Pro to check out a new hand held GPS with the coin I saved! Rockerdude Really nice to have a reliable and honest dealer! grbanman

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACFX4 @ Nov 11 2009, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
By time I got home I was frozen and it was pitch dark out, I just put the bike away. I just hope its a fuse I could pick up at any auto retailer, seeing I don't have a AC dealer anywhere close to me.[/b]
The fuses are common sizes you can get anywhere. You have a spare of each size tucked into the fuse box cover. Get the mini circuit breakers for the fan and main positions, and you'll never worry about it again.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Check the fuse box under the seat. But as long as the fan wasn't running when you went in it shouldn't have tried to come on while you were stuck. Did your high temp light come on while you were on your way back? If it was cold enough out that you were frozen it might not of needed to come on. Other thing to check it take a screw driver or something and reach into the fan and see if it will spin freely. If its tight at all your fan could be done. (had that happen to me once, got a new fan on warranty though).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE. The fuse was blown, and replaced but the fan still won't come on. I let the bike idle for like an hr,(my fan used to be always on) it is however smoking a bit from the fan but no light is coming on?

·
Premium Member
1,375 Posts
if in fact your fan is toast (it could also be the diode or sensor), and if your warranty is expired, check into a local auto parts store for a 10" electric fan. oriellys sells one made by hayden and it is nearly an exact replica of the factory fan. the cost of the fan is only about $53 and it comes with a lifetime warranty also.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Smoke......always a good sign...... :stop_nono:

Try to spin it by hand .......with the quad key OFF.
If it doesn't spin or spins real hard then you know you have a fan motor issue.
BUT you said it's smoking so even IF it WAS salvageable it probably isn't now LOL.
You can buy the replacement SPAL (brand the factory uses) on ebay for around $70.
Swap your connector end onto it and you are golden.

Put in the circuit breakers and dielectric grease EVERYTHING electrical.

BTI

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fan does spin pretty good, its more "steam" then smoke. Since my fuse was blown, what else could have blown? I'd like to do a process of elmination but I have no clue! lol

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
If you replaced the fuse and it still doesn't run but spins easy.......
Something else must be wrong.
Unplug the connector and hook up separate power to it and see if it will run.
The steam would be water evaporating off of the fins on your radiator because the fan isn't running....

BTI

·
Administrator
8,655 Posts
Have You Clean All Mud Out Of Rad / Wires To Make Sure All Are Plug In

·
Registered
590 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACFX4 @ Nov 12 2009, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I really could use some help seeing I don't have a dealer to rely on. Thanks,[/b]

Follow the wires from the fan until you come to a connector. Unplug the fan connector and use a 12v battery and run lead wires from the battery to the fan connector. Make the connection and see if your fan spins ok. If it does and you already replaced the fuse and checked all your wire connectors then I would assume that the diode thats in the circuit could be bad. The diode is usually taped up in the wire harness that comes from the fan and runs up to the frame. You have three options. you can dig into the harness and find the diode and replace it, or you can tap into the the fan circuit and put a toggle switch in to bypass the sensors and manually turn the fan on and off, or you can just bypass the diode with a wire and run it will work like normal but you won't have the diode protection in your circuit. You will need a wiring diagram of your model so you can see how the circuits runs and where to tap into the circuit to do a bypass.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
There's a fan diode that is known for causing problems every once in a while. Not hard to replace and it isn't expensive ($10). Run power directly to your fan. If it runs, then my hunch is the diode is bad.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
On some models they are in the fuse box now. The rest have them mounted to the brake junction box, which is along the steering stem (where all your brake lines come together). There will be a single wire that goes there...the thing it plugs onto is the diode.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts