Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 ZL700 and well my clutch is preety much fried and i need a new one.........here is the catch. My old clutch is stuck on my crank and we cant get it off is their any special tricks i could use. My dealer and i tried to pull it but nothing worked, heat, grease on the puller nothing it came down to him saying if it doesnt come off this time it isnt gonna and he hit it with a hammer. anysugestions would be cool cause i dont really feel like cutting the damn thing off. By the way at the local drag strip this weekend i got to see a nice orange F1000 with the bikeman graphics kit on it kick some yellow ass. made me feel good after dealing with my dang junk.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Countless posts on the subject...............

IMHO...........oil the puller threads / dab of grease on the end / tighten good n snug with an impact / give it a sharp rap or two with a large hammer.............never seen one that won't come off that way.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I read a post that said to remove bolt in primary, tip sled on can side, pour small amount of water into clutch bolt hole, put teflon tape on treads of puller and tighten. This is supposed to work like a hydraulic press. Don't know never tried it, but you should be able to find that post somewhere here or on snowest.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have always just used the oil on threads and grease the tip and it has always come off. I would clean it out good w/degreaser and spray it with wd40 or better breaker then retry the pull with a big air impact and/or i usually just use a large breakover bar and a 2 pound sledge. I wouldn't stop till i put way over 120 foot pounds on it and leave it for a couple a days while hitting it everytime i walked by or just needed to wear off a little stress. Can you get at it from the back side with anything and tap on it while every thing is tight. I have pulled other tapered shaft items doing this too............

·
Registered
780 Posts
If your clutch is truly shot and is worthless, you may be able to destructively remove it with a disc grinder. Just be careful when you get near the crank snout. I've not tried this, nor would I recommend it unless it becomes a last resort. The other ideas are all sound (although I'm not a fan of the "hammer" method). You may try leaning the sled over clutch side up, filling the bolt hole with axle lube (80-140W or similar), tape the puller threads with teflon tape, and have at it with an impact gun; hydraulic action is amazing and can sometimes do the seemingly impossible. Good luck and report back with your success.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Another easy and less messy trick is to tighten up the puller and then put some heat on the clutch with a heat gun or a small torch. Apply right around the stationary shaft/sheave...

·
Registered
780 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (clutch @ Feb 6 2007, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Another easy and less messy trick is to tighten up the puller and then put some heat on the clutch with a heat gun or a small torch. Apply right around the stationary shaft/sheave...[/b]

Just be careful with heat around the crankcase seal near the crank snout... I'll agree, heat is amazing, ever try to remove an automobile exhaust gas oxygen sensor... don't even lift a wrench until that thing is cherry red.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts