Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys took off my primary clutch to do some maintenence , I have the cover off but can not figure out how to get that big nut off so I can take the spider off,also how much play should be in the buttons on the spider and the fiber bushings in the cover and the spider.sled has 1800 miles on it and I would like to do some maintenence on the clutches what do I look for.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CDNF8 @ Nov 13 2009, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
OK guys took off my primary clutch to do some maintenence , I have the cover off but can not figure out how to get that big nut off so I can take the spider off,also how much play should be in the buttons on the spider and the fiber bushings in the cover and the spider.sled has 1800 miles on it and I would like to do some maintenence on the clutches what do I look for.[/b]
need a special tool for spider gear

·
Registered
99 Posts
it's just a REALLY DEEP 1 1/2" socket or it was on my sled it. just go the hardware store and buy a cheap socket cut it in half and extend it with about 4" of pipe and weld it back together. my poor boy way of doing things lol

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
Theres really no reason to pull the spider IMO. If things are worn that bad, you're better off buying a new uncalibrated clutch. And at 1800 miles, I highly douby you have much wear. I have 4K miles on my clutch weights, pins, and bushings, and they really show no signs of wear at all! Aside from primary spring replacements, I've got zero parts into my 04 style clutch.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yes sir not a problem but greensled is probably right unless it's worn really bad theres no point in takin it apart if it's not worn really bad as they use soooo much loctite on the threads of the spider and the nut i have had it actually take the threads off of the tower when you try to unscrew it so then the whole clutch is pretty well trashed the only way to avoid that is to heat up the nut/spider with a torch and bake the loctite out of there and to get it hot enough to do that youre gonna ruin the bushing in the moveable sheave so youre pretty well stuck rebuilding the whole thing then. just kinda use your better judgement as to whether it's runnable or not and the best thing to do to get that clutch to last the longest is to get an air gun and blow the belt dust off it after every ride if possible as the belt/clutch dust very abrasive but clutch lifespan really depends on your riding style

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again guys, Thats the answer I was looking for, they don't seem to be worn that bad I just noticed a little bit of play in the clutch and wondered if it should have it, I do not have alot of experience with clutching other than the basics, I owned a 1993 wildcat and used to have to replace buttons and bushings every year.

Has anybody ever used any type of lubricant on there clutches ?

·
Premium Member
1,395 Posts
NO! Do not use any type of lubricant on anything! If you must use anything, use dry graphite powder, but I wouldn't even do that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts