Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Primary Clutch Spring?

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  kevinbender0311 
#1 ·
I have an 04 650v2. What is the stock color of the primary clutch spring in them? I was told when I got my bike nothing was done to the clutch only a Module was installed. I was given a red primary clutch spring out of a EPI kit that a friend didn't use and he said it would help. I pulled the cover off my bike to change it, there is a red spring in the primary already! ??? Does anyone know what is the stock color, is it red?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
The guy I bought it of off said he didn't pay for anything like that. He said when he first got it stuck at around 60 miles on it he burnt the belt and they put a new belt on under warranty it was a dayco belt which seems odd for warranty. And they put on a new belt wear switch, that's it. Do you think they would install a red primary clutch spring?

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Yes, he was the original owner! Bought it at the dealer Alan johnston. I even called there and they said they only changed the belt and switch! Something doesn't seem right! The dealer told me it should look like bare metal to. The old owner still say's he never touched it only dealer maintained. So my next thing is would I be wasting my time on put the EPI red primary spring in when there is a unknown red spring already in there? Or should I wait and get a complete EPI clutch kit. What is the red spring apply for over sized tires? I have 27" XTR on ITP 14" 112 rims.
Thanks
Ian

Discussion starter · #8 ·
It doesn't seem to rev high to me before it engauges. I don't have anyone around that I can compare it to. Only a 07 700 Grizzly with EPI clutch kit and I know what you mean when you say by reving high before it engauges It lifts his front end up like nothing. I am going to go out to the garage in half an hour take the off cover, pull the spring out and compare the two. Oh about the primary bolt I already impacted the bolt off before when I changed the belt with a Arctic Cat belt Double clogged. Then I found you need a puller to take the clutch off. So I slipped it on. One thing I noticed was the belt chattered for a long time, I have put on 170 miles on it since I changed it and when it warms up and I leave it in gear it still chatters and is gone when in Neutral. I checked belt deflection and it is good 24mm. I going to go to the garage campare the springs and strengths. Yes it does look like the red one in the link you posted!
Thank you for your help so far!
Ian

Discussion starter · #10 ·
Ya I meant squeals. Well I took it apart and found that the outside of the spring was painted red only on half a side which was facing me. When I took it out the rest of it was bare metal, the new spring was half a inch longer and stiffer. Sorry I didn't reply back sooner, I had a hard time getting off the bike. :tongue_nana: I just wanted to drive and drive I love it! I can't wait to get the Complete EPI clutch kit :super_happy: Thank you Kevin & everyone for your input! Not worthy: This site can really help! She revs higher now before engaugement :super_happy:
Ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.