Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone use? Original replacements or just RTV? I just removed mine for cleaning....that was a bit of an adventure....mag side needed a lot of wiggling to get it out and I almost stripped on of the allen head bolts on the clutch side. Anyway, the gaskets are toast.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Use the original ac gaskets to keep the clearance there. On that 02 500 I would grind a little off the leading edge of those power valves also. I rebuilt one of those that dropped a pv into the piston this year and it ate the jug also. I took about a 1/16 off both so it ccannot happen again. Get new bolts also. We have a 800 that we are going to have to get creative with because of the head stripping.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use the original ac gaskets to keep the clearance there. On that 02 500 I would grind a little off the leading edge of those power valves also. I rebuilt one of those that dropped a pv into the piston this year and it ate the jug also. I took about a 1/16 off both so it ccannot happen again. Get new bolts also. We have a 800 that we are going to have to get creative with because of the head stripping.
Oh so it wasn't just me with the bolt. I was panicking because it wasn't budging and the allen wrench kept stripping. I planned on getting a new bolt for at least that one. I'll get new bolts all around. Are they put in with loctite? One on the clutch side was easy the other 3 seemed like that must have had loctite on them.

How precise does the grinding have to be? Do you just use a dremel or an air grinder?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I just used a 5 inch grinder. You will never notice any diffference in power with the little that is taken off. I would not use loctite on those bolts. Red high temp is the only one that would do any good and then you would need a torch to get them off.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. I just wasn't sure how exact the grinding had to be or if I just follow the contour taking about 1/16th off?

I won't loctite them but based on the way they snapped when I was removing it seemed like they had loctite previously.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I always use blue loctite on the bolts - manual also calls for it. The service temp for blue 242 is up to 300° F, since this bolt is right by a water jacket it should stay well below 300. For gaskets I have cut my own in a pinch but you can also get aftermarket ones for about $7 for a set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts