Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wonder if there is one of us out there what did install power steering on the diesel, will a system of a 700 gas model fit?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Hans, I think it would be very hard to do, because everything on the Diesel is so cramped. There are some aftermarket kits, possibly you could make one work. I have a very heavy 6 foot snow plow on mine. Remember when you and your "kids" drove my 700 TRV and the Diesel on the Sunrise Trail..... Everybody thought that the Diesel, without power steering drove more steadily at high speed (45-50 mph) than the gas model. To me, I kind of just get used to the manual steering, and it's good for your arms, haha. Also if you shim the upper control arms about 1/10 inch back to remove some of the positive caster, it will steer much better.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John on gravel and sand its quite okay but if you drive in the village on the road then it is very heavy to steer in comparison with the EPS models
also in the dunes the diesel do give sometimes this kick back if the wheels hit a sand dune this you also not feel with EPS models, further its amazing to drive unbelievable torque while climbing dunes

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Hans, 1 thing that I've done is raise the tire pressure in the front tires to between 12 and 15 psi (1bar). But, seriously, try shimming the upper control arms. Try 1/10 inch thick washers, but possibly, even thicker ones might be better. Just carefully remove the same amount from the bushing to let you put in the washer. It will help a lot. You might buy a few upper control arm bushings to play with. BTW, it's snowing like hell, just got my snow plow back on and will give the Diesel a workout....

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John,
we drive very low tire pressure as its mostly sand dunes we drive or beach,
i know its snowing i have still the weather app of Penobscot on my mobile and look sometimes how it is, would love to experience to drive in the snow, something we will never have here in Namibia

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Hans, went riding in the snow yesterday with the Diesel with my brother on his Honda. Almost had to tow him home, as his Honda was having fuel problems, haha. BTW, the Diesel loves the cold, starts and runs great, even down to -20F at least! Have to get my heated grips fixed, though!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Hans, perhaps I need to turbocharge my 700 gas TRV, haha. You need to come back to Maine, next time you stay with me. Probably harder to turbocharge the gas Arctic Cats, might be a challenge to control the Air/Fuel ratio, hmmm? Or I just buy another AC Diesel and sell the TRV.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hans, perhaps I need to turbocharge my 700 gas TRV, haha. You need to come back to Maine, next time you stay with me. Probably harder to turbocharge the gas Arctic Cats, might be a challenge to control the Air/Fuel ratio, hmmm? Or I just buy another AC Diesel and sell the TRV.
John, you wright, on a gas much more complicated, compression issues and fuel tuning, and i think it wont last also even you can do the tuning.
better a other diesel we call them in Africa "kan nie dood nie" cannot die (keep running for ever)
love to visit again

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
John, you wright, on a gas much more complicated, compression issues and fuel tuning, and i think it wont last also even you can do the tuning.
better a other diesel we call them in Africa "kan nie dood nie" cannot die (keep running for ever)
love to visit again
Hans, of course you can visit any time! Next time you stay with me. Probably Namibia and Maine are the safest places to be to avoid the Wuhan virus. Stay away from The Netherlands and the whole of EU. Driving the Diesel everyday! Can't believe Arctic Cat stopped making the best ATV ever made! Hope Stephan and Linda are safe! john

1 - 11 of 11 Posts