Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think that the engineers for Arctic Cat will come up with there own power steering system. Time will only tell for us cat lovers out there. :scat:

·
Registered
434 Posts
pretty sure they will. Testers have been bitching aboout the heavy steering on cats for years, so adding this would not only follow industry trends but also solve on of the bigger complaints I hear about cats. Its like EFI, cat was not the first to do it but they did jump on the bandwagon.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I think they will. Yamaha being the first to do it, all eyes are on them to see how it performs. If it goes well (which it looks good thus far), then other manu's will get in on it.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
To keep gaining market share, they HAVE to.... period end of story.

My guess is they will pool R&D with Suzuki, and share common parts.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Sadly, I have to agree with the thinking that Cat will go with auto steering sooner or later. Although, I have real trouble agreeing with over-complication and with the application/addition of technological components that put creature comfort over reliability and fix-ability. Don't get me wrong. I'm no Luddite. I readily embrace technology. In fact, I'm probably a bit of a techno geek. I enjoy building and repairing computers. I have had high definition TV for close to five years. I've been into digital cameras and video cameras for even longer. I have been using GPS for years. So, as you can see, I have no aversion to technology. However, when the technology is applied to make engaging four wheel drive or power steering by way of electrical components on a machine that is intended to haul my ass down miles of rough, soggy trails, through bush and swamp in areas where I might not see another person for days, I cannot readily embrace that concept. My old 250 Suzuki LTF4WD had mechanical everything other than the CDI and lights. That machine got me in and out of the bush for twenty years without once letting me down. Will I be able to say the same for the new machines I have now? I doubt it. Once in a while I go over to read the Honda forums. If you think we have problems with our Cats, think again. Due to Honda's propensity to automate and push button everything, their machines are sliding into the technological abyss. Go to the Honda forums and read some of the numerous posts complaining about their push button shifting system failures. For those of you who never stray too far from civilization and an easy tow home, unnecessary technological gadgetry might be acceptable. For those of us who travel in areas where help might be days away, it is not. The problem is that there are far more of the former than the latter. If that's the type of machine the majority prefers, manufacturers will build them. Unfortunately, we, the minority will have to buy them too. I truly wish that the new technology being Incorporated on recent models turns out to be as reliable as the old mechanical systems were. However, I have trouble believing that it will. It would be really nice if we had an option to choose the level of technology we want on our machines. I doubt that will ever happen either.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
One thing about the power steering, if it does fail, you definitely won't be stranded anywhere. I do hope, though, that in the future manufacturers will still offer some bikes without all the technological "add-ons" for those that may not want the complexity and added cost.

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
It is probably inevitable, once Yamaha figures out their power steering problems and prove that it is durable

·
Registered
128 Posts
As I believe was said in an earlier post on this topic, the majority of the buying public is hooked on gadgetry. They want the latest technology. The more gadgetry you can put on an item and pump it up, the more the public will want it. The buying public as a whole wants the best and is willing to pay for it! Maybe it is greed, maybe it is pride, or maybe it is just not wanting to settle for nothing but the best. I think we are all guilty of that. Nothing wrong with that as long as we stay within our means. The manufacturers are just trying to compete with each other for the buyer's dollar.
My feelings on this matter!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Given the cost of these machines, I'd like to see the ATV industry emulate the auto industry in the way you can order a machine. Wouldn't it be great to walk into your dealer and order a machine with exactly the components YOU want, much like ordering a new car?

Think about it, they could offer a a couple of frames to choose from depending on size class, then you oder the engine & transmission you want, power steering, EFI or whatever other drivetrain items that would be reasonable, then you order your "cosmetics" like color of plastic, accessories etc.

Of course you'd have to wait a bit for delivery, but when you got your machine, it would be what you would want!
And, just like ordering a new vehicle, you do pay a bit more than buying existing stock "off the lot" but for me it would be worth it.

I would think that it would not be that difficult as they are basically all using the same frame and plastics anyway, why not let the customer decide? The big benefit to them also, is that by monitoring what items and combinations are most often ordered, it would let them know what "spec" machines to send to dealers...

·
Registered
672 Posts
That may have been the best post I have read on here Not worthy: Its a great idea, but I dont ever see it happening. Its pretty easy to make the same machine over and over, and let the consumer order the accessories they want from the dealer. I would love to see power steering on my prowler humper

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I would be willing to bet they will. I personally would like to see one. I would buy a cat with this setup only after it had been out for at least a year. The grizzly power assist is looking like it is a pretty good set up. The only thing I don't like is the 700s stance, its just sooo small, I looks like a kids bike compared to a cat. LOl

·
Registered
947 Posts
I was up a the local yamaha dealer the other day, he has sold close to a dozen bikes with power steering, seems to be good reviews, he was saying a few senior riders love em, and he has a disabled customer says it makes his riding that much more confident, to me its worth the money right there...
honda has it on there bikes now so i am sure we are about 2 years behind, ...

·
Registered
947 Posts
I was up a the local yamaha dealer the other day, he has sold close to a dozen bikes with power steering, seems to be good reviews, he was saying a few senior riders love em, and he has a disabled customer says it makes his riding that much more confident, to me its worth the money right there...
honda has it on there bikes now so i am sure we are about 2 years behind, ...

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
i aggree one company makes something and sooner or later the others follow to some extent. look at irs, basically standard on almost all atv's, efi, basically the same everyone is getting at least one or two in there lineup. i am for power steering "assist" which is what yamaha has developed for two reasons (and no i don't work for yama). one, making longer rides more comfortable and somewhat easier on the upperbody, two, acts like a steering stablizer where it is run off speed sensor so when moving and hitting a root the bars aren't ripped from your hands.

i believe i saw a aftermarket powersteering setup for the prowler allready someware on the net.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think they will. Their also going to have a bigger bore bike-800,power stering and efi because kjawasaki is coming out with a brute force 800 efi latet this summer..

·
Registered
221 Posts
We bought my wife a new Grizzly 700 last September. The power steering was the decision-maker for her. Folks, all I can say is it is the real deal. A long day of riding her bike vs. my Arctic Cat 500 is simply like comparing night and day. IMHO Arctic Cat could help themselves tremendously just by designing their suspension geometry such that the bike handled in even an average fashion.

The Yamaha is not perfect however. The rack system is a joke and I don't believe the Grizzly is anywhere near as structurally strong as my AC. I bought my AC for it's blue-collar work ethic. Anyone who rides with me knows I tend to load the racks up with all sorts of gear. The Arctic Cat serves that role admirably. But my next quad will DEFINETELY have EFI and power steering assist would be a plus too, although not a deal breaker.

Kevinbender is correct when he states that the power steering assist acts as a steering stabilizer as well. However, my brother (who also just bought a new Grizzly) found out the hard way that even power steering can't overcome physics (900+ lb package hauling down a narrow trail at 25mph - energy=mass x velocity). While riding at high speed down a bobsled run here in Oklahoma he caught a root. The bike instantly jolted sideways into the left side and the bars launched him. The left front tire bead broke away from the rim (27" MudLite XTR's) and the tire of course flatted.

Once we got the Griz off the trail, reseated the bead and reinflated we noticed that the wheel camber was screwed. The lower A-frame was severly bent. Interestingly enough, Yamaha builds in some bend in a concaved fashion, claiming that it improves ground clearance (probably does to some degree). But, in this instance, I believe it also results in a weaker A-frame, thus contributing to the failure. POINT IS, the power steering was not able to absorb everything, but it wasn't damaged in the calamity either.

Honestly however, I think we'd have seen similar results from any make of machine in this particular situation.

stellarpod

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Borat hit the nail on the head... and makes a convincing agument.... If Mfr's are going to improve steering, starting, shifting, engaging etc... maybe they ought to go the route of the auto makers with "Optional Equipment" or "preferred package" hopefully if they go the route of the auto makers maybe they can have a check list and the consumer can pick and choose what "options" or "packages" he want's on his machine... I know Wishful thinking.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts