Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK guys I got it apart and I am baffled by what I found. The primary, which is the drive clutch, right? Looks like this...

No wear whatsoever. All of the plates are perfectly in specs.

The starter clutch looks like this...

Look at the excessive wear. That would explain the massive amount of heat being generated and the burnt oil. The starter clutch housing even has baked on oil that looks like a well seasoned cast iron skillet.

Am I missing something? Why is it doing this? I'm lost.

JT

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
pretty sure thats the wet clutch

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
Are the discs glazed ?

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK now I think I have a better understanding of this. The "starter" clutch drives the primary clutch which sends power to the ground.

I thought the starter clutch engaged with the starter to crank the engine.
I dunno

What can I say, it's a learning process.

So I have all new plates coming for my primary and I don't need them. I need to rebuild the starter clutch.

Why the heck is it called a starter clutch???

JT

·
Registered
751 Posts
The manual bikes have two clutches. the starter clutch (primary clutch) transfers the engine power to the drive train. the second clutch (what i call the shift clutch) is what allows you to change gears. when you apply pressure to the shifter it opens the shift clutch and unloads the transmission allowing the gear to change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cap screws on release roller assembly

I have rebuilt the clutch basket on a 2002 300 4x4 and confused as to exactly how tight are the four screws that hold the star shaped plate that rides over top of the 4 springs, on the roller assembly are supposed to be the manual is not to clear. Thanks for any help you (anyone) can give..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts