Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come up with a way to modify an existing blade into a power angle blade. I was looking last night and found a kit for over $200. I'm not spending that. Any shade tree mechanics out there?

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
Like posted before, they are expensive and they burn up rather quickly. I wouldnt trust one to do any type of gradeing of rock or gravel.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I wonder if you could use one anchor for the winch cable on one side and ajust a plow spring on the other side --- Spring return if you will... other thought is, I push snow-- I mean I REALLY PUSH snow, sometimes over the top of my fabbed taper blade... I wonder how long the winch would survive being packed in snow.... I'm gonna try what RiverCat 650 did to angle his plow....

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
mine has been flawless . this whole winter .. with the rubber flap the winch really never gets wet/snow covered . and was cheap!!
i have a 85 foot by 14 foot wide gravel drive , i also have used it to level the gravel.

Attachments

·
Registered
333 Posts
Thats usin yer knoggin!! thumbguy

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MadMax400 @ Feb 19 2010, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thats usin yer knoggin!! thumbguy[/b]

Ya Some Guys have ALL the Brains.. LoL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rivercat650: That is the best mod I've seen for a plow. GREAT WORK! Does it still allow the blade to tip if you hit something (since the cables always have tension)? I noticed you put the mounts low on the blade which should let it tip, but just wondering....... I seem to find lots of cracks in concrete to get caught on.....makes me jump everytime.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
it tip just like stock . it mounted to the pivot ,push tube .. not the blade . alowing it to trip at any angle .

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bl8tant @ Feb 20 2010, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Rivercat650: That is the best mod I've seen for a plow. GREAT WORK! Does it still allow the blade to tip if you hit something (since the cables always have tension)? I noticed you put the mounts low on the blade which should let it tip, but just wondering....... I seem to find lots of cracks in concrete to get caught on.....makes me jump everytime.[/b]

hers a couple pics with me standing on it tripped! one is stright and one angled . now this is on a warn easy pivot plow . .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nwngunner @ Dec 30 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
powered plow angle

I am going to be making one of these this spring.[/b]

Mee too .. Best idea I've seen so far !!! and I think I found a cheapo winch I can use for it.. heehee..

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
I am going to take it one step farther, there was another idea about adding pressure to the blades to make them scrape harder.

I seen where some one added a gas dampers to the plow. Added like 100 pounds of pressure to the plow, was considering attaching two of them, one to each side of the push tube, an mount it up to near the roller. I just have to get some measurements and angle of where i am going to attack them. I want to be able to keep most of my plow clearance.

Even if i have to run a mount off of the side of the main beams of the brush guard.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nwngunner @ Mar 8 2010, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I am going to take it one step farther, there was another idea about adding pressure to the blades to make them scrape harder.

I seen where some one added a gas dampers to the plow. Added like 100 pounds of pressure to the plow, was considering attaching two of them, one to each side of the push tube, an mount it up to near the roller. I just have to get some measurements and angle of where i am going to attack them. I want to be able to keep most of my plow clearance.

Even if i have to run a mount off of the side of the main beams of the brush guard.[/b]

I also remember seeing them... I'm not convinced they would last long, as the ones on the Mustang hatch took a :turd: and the hatch weighs about a buck 20 or so... so now when I open the hatch I have to use a prop rod to keep her in the air...

maybe last a season or so.. depending on use.. but I just have not seen the pressure shocks/gas dampners last ...

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I haven't had any issues with downward pressure. Then again, I have a 62" Swisher steel plow so it's got some weight on it.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
4 years ago I bought the Rocky Mountain Tusk City 60" Straight Blade.... made of 12 gage mild steel... I cut a piece of 12 gage 304, like 5" on one end and like 10" on the other, punched some 5/16th holes in it and used 1/4"x20 stainless bolts to make it a taper blade... the snow rolls right down the blade...
[attachment=150676:100_1518.JPG]

I have ideas of adding another 12 inches to the plow... but I'd like the extentions to be removeable...

The wear bar maybe has one more season in it.. than it'll be replaced with stainless... I've had to re-enforce the push tubes last season --

When I weighed the plow and push tubes, came in at just a hair over #130 !!

I dunno if I need more weight up front or downward pressure... Keep us posted how the gas dampners work out as I'm always curious...

A while back we cleaned out one of the stock rooms at work and I saved a few small air cylinders.. both are 20 inches fully extended and will operate with 40# - 140#'s air pressure... they do resemble the gas dampners in appearence... hmmmm.... see know the wheels are turning again... damnit.... I better go wright this down.. before I forget....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,911 Posts
My moose plow is only 48 inch, it is heavy but i dont think it is that heavy. Problem i have is i have to keep my drive perfectly clean in the winter if at all possible.

With my parents semi, not having weight on it, it is tough getting in and out of the driveway. So snowpack is very bad in my situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RiverCat650, I am about to undertake this power pivot idea on mine, is there anything that you would do differently? How well does the plow hold true to angle, or do you have to correct it as you plow?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts