Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 1999 PS 500 efi with the stock engagement of 5000. I love the sled but am looking to lower the engagement quite a bit and am curious about performance modifications I can make to it. I ride trails and lakes at 8-10k elevation. Looking for input on swapping primary spring, weights, secondary, gearing, exhaust, etc. TIA!

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Patrick, I see you posted this a second time. Maybe not a lot of mountain guys on here. I do know that the 500 needs the higher engagement or it will be a dog. Being at higher elevation, you may not want to change it. I'm not a mod guy so I can't help there. Here is a High Altitude spec sheet for 92-99 models. Double check your springs, weights are actually factory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, wasn’t sure where the best place to post would be... I need to see what it’s current weights are, and I don’t intend to modify much just some tweaking to lower the engagement some so I have more throttle response across the board. Thanks for the tip though!

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Why do you think a lower engagement RPM would give better throttle response across the board? You're already down on power being at high elevation, so lowering RPM's should make things much worse on that engine. Throttle response is about the engine being in the power band. Maybe you need better backshifting to keep the revs up so you power to overcome the load on the track?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’d like to hit the throttle and get moving sooner than wait for 5000rpm to rev up. I understand these 500 case reeds get power in that higher RPM I’m learning but I’ve heard of others swapping some clutching and gearing to make it behave more like a ZR or even a Pantera which engage at 4800 and 3800, respectively.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock Powder Specials engage at 5000 there’s nothing wrong with it at all, I’m simply curious if others have swapped the primary spring or done other simple modifications.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Patrick I believe engagement at 5k is correct. Snappiness could have to do with the weights on the primary I ride my ps 700 at 8k plus constantly in Colorado and a lighter weight arm I think I’m at 48-49 gram is recommended and really helps.. check what they recommend for the 500

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Patrick I believe engagement at 5k is correct. Snappiness could have to do with the weights on the primary I ride my ps 700 at 8k plus constantly in Colorado and a lighter weight arm I think I’m at 48-49 gram is recommended and really helps.. check what they recommend for the 500
I need to check my weights. I believe stock is 42.5, but having bought it used I don’t know if previous owner changed anything. With increasing the weight to 48, Did you do anything with the spring?

·
Registered
13 Posts
No left the spring but when I got the sled it had the correct spring for mountains.. check what weight is recommended do 8-9k and above for your sled ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts