Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sled has 5400 miles on it and I just did a top end rebuild a couple months ago cause it burned down. Marked one cylinder a little but it honed out cause it was just aluminum transfer from the piston.
Last season I was getting close to 10mpg and now I'm getting 5-6mpg. Anybody have any ideas why its so poor?

I hear a lot that the zr 600 gets crappy mileage to begin with but I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be getting 10 or better with it.

Any and all help would be great.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Try some sea foam. your injectors may be sticky. The other would be if you have a bad sensor and it is running in the rich mode.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mike, I normally use Lucas fuel treatment every couple tanks and I was also told to pull the injectors and use a 9 volt battery to open them and spray carb cleaner through to clean them.

Where is the sensor located and is there a way to test it?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
There are 5 sensors and any one of them could cause a problem. Download the manual from the link in my signature. It has a complete section just on the fuel system including troubleshooting and testing of those sensors.

·
Premium Member
3,390 Posts
yeah our power valves would stick and we got 5-6 mpg
had bad cables
it was in limp mode
sometimes the frayed cables worked fine
like every time we checked them before a ride
got 10-12 mpg
have to check for trouble codes

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll check for trouble codes tommorow. I did an ohm test on the air sensor, temp sensor and both injectors and all looks good. Both injectors were 2.8. I run 87 octane and the plug-in is unplugged.
There is no piston wash on the domes and the plugs are black and pretty wet, looks like It's running rich to me.

I didn't test the tps cause if that was an issue it wouldn't run period or would be additional problems I believe.

I've rebuilt both clutches recently so all of that is less then 400 miles old, I did change the gearing but don't remember off the top of my head what I put in it. That's on my to do list for tommorow as well.

I think im going to plug in the ethanol plug, run it around the lake abd see what the plugs look like after that. Let me know if you guys think thats a bad idea. I believe it should only be about a 15% difference in fuel delivery by doing that.

Thanks in advance for all the help gentlemen.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
The TPS can make a huge difference. Of all of the sensors on the sled it probably makes the biggest difference. I would make sure everything else is right, but then I would check the TPS. On my 98 EFI, I was able to get better plug color and wash by adjusting the tps in small increments. I'm sure it made fuel mileage better too, but I never really checked it.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Plugged in the ethanol plug and ran it today and the plugs are no longer black and wet, getting a nice chocolate brown color to them. Not sure if my mpg is any better yet but it should be since it is leaned out a little now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts