Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

New Yamaha motor in Cat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally dont like the new Yamaha Cat sled So I figured I would start a poll to see what everyone else thinks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I personally like that Cat is building them, should be good for their profits i would think. As far as Yamaha supplying engines for 2014 Cat sleds i dont like that. I know of a 3 cyl turbo that came off the assembly line a few weeks back so i would think its the nytro engine with a turbo in a Cat chassis. I am not a fan of Yamaha, i have owned bikes and atv's of theirs and everyone had some form of an engine failure. So i always chuckle to myself when people say they are an motor company at heart. Do they make a good engine, im sure they do, its just that all mine have sucked. Hopefully Cat comes out good with this deal for possible HPDI two stroke that they build. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I hope the 26th is not a let down. I was blue man for a long time had to switch over to green didn't like where yamaha was going. Never saw this coming but dam there going to be the two coolest rides on the snow next year.

·
Registered
618 Posts
not to impressed about yami engines in cat might be eating my words guess we will see,also had a yami outboard biggest pos from day one out of the crate coulda just been a lemon who knows.

·
Registered
915 Posts
What the hay,if its a Cat with YAMAHA on the side. Would try the Yamaha. Thinking back on all my motor sports dealings over the years. Alot less hassels dealing with Yamaha then CAT. And I have had good Cat dealers. Just seams Cat doesn't care at times.
The Yama would probably have better clutching, And who knows better controls,gages,seat,bells and gizmos. Might be the sled to have??

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see a lot of likes so far. Am I the only one who thinks this is going to hurt the resale value of their Suzuki motored sled? I personally dislike yamaha they are the one manufacturer I would never consider. Now it looks like I own a white one. As long as those things are blue and red they will never look as good as us but man they are the same sled. Robs some of my cool factor. Anyone want a 2013 white xf turbo ltd?

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
I think this deal is brilliant. This was the worst kept secret ever.

Yamaha needed a chassis to replace their aging non-competitive suspension and Cat needed a new motor supplier since the agreement with Suzuki is up. It saves R&D dollars for both manufacturers and really allows the strengths of each manufacturer to be highlighted.

Yamaha motors have been solid- Cat will benefit. And the Procross chassis handles great with decent skis (that Yamaha already has)- and Yamaha will benefit. I see it as a WIN/WIN deal for both.

The only bad news is that I can't make fun of Yamaha any more. What fun is that? They were such an easy target.....

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
This is the best thing to happen to Cat and Yamaha both.
Yamaha's proven durability and performance in a cat chassis.
As most of you know, I have just returned from the Yamaha dealers show. I had a chance to ride 4 of the Viper models and I was very impressed. The Yammie triple has better low end power, and better fuel economy. I stopped by a Cat dealer in Wausau Wi on the way home and there is ZERO difference between the XF1100 and the Viper other than the cat and yamaha badging. Yamaha's pricing is less than cat. We shall see. There is more development to come in the next 5 months on the Viper, all changes for the good.
They did add more seat height which is one small difference that makes for a great ride.

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Most yamie engine are reliable, not all. there 660 in the rhino in certain years has been a flop. I think the engines will be good and hopefully get good mileage.
yamie dont do 2 strokes anymore. Does that mean goodbye to the F8?
hope not, i still love the smell of 2 stroke in the morning

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
The one thing I remember about Yamaha sleds is how easy it was to leave them in the dust. Man they were slow!

·
Registered
34 Posts
This deal PROTECTS Arctic cat,they are a small company that only makes 2 off road products compared to corporate GIANTS Ski Doo,Polaris and Yamaha. They now have access to Yamaha engine technology,without spending millions in development themselves.In addition,could Cats long term plans involve boats or motorcycles?? Makes me wonder.

·
Banned
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Everyone keeps saying yami motors are so reliable but how many suzuki 4 strokes have issues? Zero that I can think of, the reliability issues that everyone sees with the procross is everything wrapped around the engines. So how does a yami engine make it better? Is a new motor and clutch going to solve every other issue the sled has? It has more low end? Great hows it pull up top? The polaris I test rode pulled hard till 80 then it fell on its face. I still think its a mistake yamaha is the dead dyeing old man sled. Arctic cat has a good market share no mater how small they may be. I say put the money in R&D build your own motors and invest in the future. I am not brand loyal I just hate yamahas. My opinion best ride Rush, best all around package Renegade, Best looking and fit to my rideing style Cat Turbo, best ugly POS Yamaha!!!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have looked at other brands in the past but Yamaha was never one of them. Not because of quality issues but because I'm a 2smoke guy and quite frankly everything they have made post 2004 is fugly. We purchased our '02 Vmax new and it's been a good machine for the most part. I hated the RX-1 and it's still a heavy POS that's slow. I can't stand Cats twin spar chassis because it is fugly too. Looks do count and I just plain hate ugly $hit.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
If people are buyin procross cats, people will buy the Yammie. I love red and black and this combo is the most sexy sled I have seen in a while. Been waitin for yammie to do something for years. Don't get me wrong, I will still own green, but this is one sled that i will own. I am sure they wil offer the s/c or turbo kits like they do with the nytro. RX/Apex body is so dated it was time for a big change

·
5,963 Posts
Im Undecided on this yet. I have a feelin that AC will be bought out by yammi down the Road. But then again Who knows right. We will see what the 26th will offer us

This is a great idea for a thread about the new sleds

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Yamaha has been in the 4 stroke market so long now, there is no down side to it at all WHATSOEVER

I was so impressed with the ride, performance and styling. I love red n black so if Cat was to do it, I would have been on a Cat. I will own a SR Viper 137 for next year, but I will still own my 2 stroke cats too.....just sayin....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts