Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you polish a tunnel on a sled? I've tried just the mothers aluminum polish but it doesn't make it as shiny as i'd like it, do you have to sand it first with a real fine sandpaper then polish?

·
Registered
564 Posts
When I sanded my belt cover I used 280 - A grit sand paper than polished it.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Use the green liquid sled shine-$10 a small bottle but no sanding needed unless your tunnel is scratched up. BEST stuff I have ever used. Very little effort and rubbing needed.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Local dealer should carry it.
Our dealers here do. If you can't find it there,PM your address and I could send you a bottle-try it , if you like it, pay me. I assure you, you will LOVE it.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I make my kid do it for me. :tongue_nana: We use a die-grinder with a cloth polishing wheel & polishing rouge. Spend about 5 hours with that then finish off with Mother's Alum/Mag cleaner & a buff ball on the drill.

[attachment=64184:IM000880.jpgtd.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
do you think an auto parts store would carry rubbing compound? what kind do i get? and what grit sandpaper should i get cuz my tunnel is scratched a little bit

·
Registered
2,572 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can get rubbing compound at Auto Stores and Big Box Store Auto Dept.

I agree sand paper will leave scratches.

Rubbing compound and a 3M scotch green pad removes these scratches.

Then use a rag and rubbing compound to remove any remaining scratches.

Mothers will now put the final shine to it.

You can start at any point. The starting point is determined by how rough the surface is that you want to polish.

A generous dose of elbow grease will be needed for each step.

PS Very Fine steel wool and WD40 will also polish Aluminum

1 - 11 of 11 Posts