Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem I put all new gaskets in my 1999 Polaris indy 488 fan and now it doesn't start it backfires on starting fluid i have a spark and fuel what do I do??

·
Registered
64 Posts
Cylinder/Head/ intake Gaskets/ exhaust gaskets? I know there is a few intake gaskets per carb to go on either side of cooling shroud. I personally would not use starting fluid as it removes any lubrication. Maybe use a squirt bottle and inject some mixed gas through carbs to see if it is not getting fuel?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put new gaskets on around the shroud and I took the gas line off the carburetor pulled it over a couple times and gas came out put the gas line back on and all I could get was a little puff of smoke out of the intake and the backfire once in awhile?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention I put all new gaskets in head gaskets bottom gaskets crankshaft seals exhaust gaskets around the Shroud by the carburetors and now it doesn't run

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did you have to split the cases to change the crank seals? I used to have a TX 340 and the crank seals were changed without splitting the case. I had issues once where I didn’t lube( grease the inside of seals , on rebuild) it ran on one cyl though but flooded the other

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no, i did not have to split the cases I just had to use a screwdriver to pop them out. I don't know what to do with it be worth spending some money and sending it off to the shop to get fixed?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did you grease up the inner lip of seal good before install? To me it sounds like a leak in the bottom end not to run

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no, I did not grease them I will take them back out tomorrow and try that, thank you. and that will cause it not to run?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Seal leakage can do some weird things. Make sure they fit snug on the outside where they join the case. Maybe some loctite could be put there?they usually fit tight on the case but liberally grease where they contact the crank and the innner lip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts