Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing primary right now. I removed this backing plate from the old clutch. Had some pretty potent loctite on the bolts. FSM doesn't specify torque for bolts, nor this plate. Anyone know what this plate is for and if it's needed?

·
Super Moderator
4,301 Posts
I've heard two things as of recent as to what it is. Either some type of balance plate or a noise reduction plate for reducing clutch noise. Alot of people don't run them and alot do. I currently have one on my f7 but it came with it and I don't feel like removing it to see what it does/sounds like. As for torque.... Tight with locktite? I'm honestly not sure

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
19,995 Posts
Steel plate for F7's/6's is for smoothing harmonics of those engines at lower speeds....

Aluminum is for early model years (2003-2004) laydown 500's to help with windage noise off of primary fins on stationary sheaves back sides..

Loctite 609 (green) compound, and 15lbs/ft torque...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Ended up just putting it back on before I got responses so I could get the clutch back on and the sled put together. I ended up just using a dab of green loctite and the ole gutentight method. I doubt it'll come off. It will need plenty of heat the next time I need to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys. Just wondering consequences of running my F-5 w out the backing plate? If it’s a performance thing then I’ll find one. If it’s a noise issue; how bad can that be when riding w a helmet on? Thanks Bear

1 - 5 of 5 Posts