Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok does anyone know what kind of plastics the fenders are made out of on a 2014? I have called every dealer in the area with no luck. Cannot get ahold of the guy at AC head office that would know. |The weather is getting nice and would like to get the fenders welded up. And of course the information im looking for on the fenders them self is hid up some ware where i cannot see it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check out Seelye Plastic Welders

Here is the link to their website.
Thermoplastic Welding Equipment - Fabrication & Distribution of Thermoplastic Products - Ocoee, Florida - Seelye Acquisitions
I have one of their welders that I bought in 1986 for repairing auto batteries, which are polypropylene. I can't remember whether I used that or polyethylene rod to weld ATV fenders.
Take a sliver of the plastic (just shave a piece off of an edge with a sharp knife) to be welded about the size and shape of an old fashioned wooden kitchen match, and hold it straight out and light the end of it and watch the flame. Then call Seelye, and they will ask you what color the flame was and did it smoke when it was burning. That should be enough information to get you hooked up with the correct rod. It comes in colors, too. Really helpful people. If you use the wrong rod, it will just pull right off after it gets cool, no adhesion at all.
Good luck!

Finn
I guess that the link didn't work.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i already have the welder and a supplier here in canada. The supplier is a great help and talked to me for a good 1/2 hour on the phone. They want to make sure i get the right rod as they have a good 10-20 different makups of rod if not more. he said he could take a good guess as to what it is just by the description i gave them but would feel better if i could give him a exact makeup. not a job i want to mess up and have to redo or order a new body.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im finding this funny and sad all at the same time. Probably 50000+ arctic cart riders in the world who knows how many on this forum. Between this forum, Arctic cat dealers, and arctic cat no one knows what type of plastic it is..LOL

Not bashing anyone so please don't take it wrong:)

·
Administrator
35,446 Posts
This question has come up many times. When you find out I'll sticky it

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I found a video of a guy welding what looks like a Firecat hood. He indicates that it's Polypropylene just by the smell of the smoke after burning it. PP has very good resistance to fatigue. Very few glues work on it although 2 part epoxies do work if over-flexing is not an issue at repair.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
urethanesupply.com has information on their website how to identify plastics from Autos to Watercraft. Tips on what to use for repair too.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
urethanesupply.com has information on their website how to identify plastics from Autos to Watercraft. Tips on what to use for repair too.
It does not cover everything. and that is still just a guess. Remembered the local dealer had some newer plastics in storage and went and looked for the identifying mark. Low and behold AC did not put it on their products. Looked at 3 different years and nothing. Only one even had a part# molded in. I used to work in plastic injection and have ordered enough different products that are plastic and never seen a part where big enough that did not have a identifier on it. From what i have been told through different suppliers of repair products is that AC usually changes it up every once and a while.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Don't know if this helps but I use some pieces of broken fenders that were unrepairable and use them as filler when welding.

For the record, none of my repairs were as strong as they were before they broke, but non stressed areas usually hold up well.

The secret is don't crash [or let your buddy ride your machine!]

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When i do the repairs im going to be melting some stainless screen to the backside for strength. I have a friend that is well connected into the atv community digging into it for me. Worst case if i cannot get the info the suppler were im ordering product from told me to send him a 3" sample and they will identify it.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW someone at AC needs to learn customer service. I figured i would try to use the web store contact us and see if i could get a answer. Since they do have a section in their for questions on parts i figured i would get lucky.. gave em all the info and everything i have done including contacting their HO. The email i got back blew me away. in a very polite and well worded email i was basically told to go take a hike and should only be contacting them through a dealer... now they have me rethinking my dissension on another new machine.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I had a couple cracks on my 2002 plastics. I bought a plastic welding kits from Harbor Freight and it worked great. The welds have held up for years now. I only did the repairs from the back side so the crack is still somewhat visible from the top side but it doesn't bother me. Epoxy didn't last for me so I bought the welding kit.
I got the welder that you hook up to an air compressor/120 outlet that's costed about $50. Since I wasn't sure which rod to use and I have spare plastics that are beat up I tried the 3 rods in the HF kit. I believe the rods were PVC, PP and ABS. After testing the abs rod worked best for me but my atv plastics are 2002 and 03. If you have spare plastics just test which rod works best. That's if you have a Harbor Freight near you.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that really doesn't care how it looks, just as long as its functional. I used 2 part plastic epoxy and placed 2x1/2" long pieces of aluminum across the break to hold it together. Sort of a stitch... holding together great...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Being mines a 2002 I didn't care too much on how it looked but more that the repair would last. The two cracks were on my front plastics right where those 2 tabs come off the bottom side of the plastics and bolt or screw to the frame. Basically the plastic mounting tabs and when the plastic would shift while riding on the trails the epoxy wouldn't hold up. So that's why I had to weld the two spots up, otherwise I'd be repairing them a few times a season.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well here is the answer from AC
Black plastic is TPO
Colored parts/painted are Surlyn (like golf ball covers)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
7 Participants
zrock
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing