·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called two dealers here. I need new piston rings for my 96 ZRT 600

Dealer one - $111
Dealer two - $96

These are for OEM rings from cat. Holy good god thats expensive IMO

Question. Can I run aftermarket rings on my OEM pistons?
Dealer one - Nope
Dealer two - Sure.. $51 for all of them

I also need a new piston. Dealer two has a Kimpex one new with rings for $43. My other two pistons are fine. He says its ok to run 1 aftermarket piston and 2 OEM pistons. I am a little weary of doing this.

Idealy, what I want to do is find OEM rings cheaper from who makes them (SGP- Suzuki genuine products), purchase a good used OEM piston. But doing that is proving to be very hard (to find the SGP rings from anyone other then cat)

What is your guys take on this situation?

I think Lemans and Kimpex make rings. The dealer gets them from parts unlimited.

I want to make sure aftermarket rings will fit my OEM pistons and won't do anything to my nicasil plating.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have been following your posts,questions and photos. With the miles you have I would replace all three pistons without a doubt. I have never used kimpex pistons but know of people who have with good luck. I have used SPI or SPX cant remember which it is, infact I have a set in my zrt600 right now, they have a graphite pad on the shirts to prevent scuffing so they say. I know of 260HP race engines with these pistons. They are fairly resonable price, I can check the name for sure and maybe the part number as well tomorrow if you like I am pretty sure I still have the boxes they came in. Although Im not a fan of kimpex stuff I think you would be fine with their pistons. I aquired a 650indy a few years back that had caged needle bearing come apart the piston (kimpex) took an aweful beating and done alot of damage. The piston was well beat up and cracked however it never actually broke. That machine has kimpex in it again and is still running strong, however in the more powerful zrt I'd go with OEM or the SPI/SPX.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ Thank you for the great reply.

My pistons look great.. people just replace pistons for the heck of it? I have put 10,000 miles on sleds with stock pistons before.. i got at most, 5,000 on these.. I am just weary of changing a piston because it has 5,000 miles on it. The rings yes, piston no

I found this on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ARCTIC-CAT-TOP-END-REB...1QQcmdZViewItem

And this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arctic-cat-ZRT-600-ove...VQQcmdZViewItem (note the winderosa gasket set! That alone is $$)

I bought head gaskets already (30$ online). My rings are going to be 100.. and my piston is who knows.. hell i should just spend 200 on that kit and do all three and have the whole assembly be aftermarket. Wish I knew what kid them were and if they were any good. I have no idea what them pistons are in that picture though.

Since I already have head gaskets coming.. (and my top 0 ring gaskets are good and I have one new one of those).. I could just buy a piston kit here for 140$ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/3-Arctic-Ca...sspagenameZWDVW

I would love to know who makes these things. That auction shows the same pistons but says they are teflon coated.

My cheapest option is to purchase a used piston, and purchase aftermarket rings. That total would be - 80 ish.

Hell.. my buddy 4 hrs away is a parts unlimited dealer. I could order everything thru him. Wiseco piston kit is 368 bucks. I pay 10% over dealer cost.. so, might be around 280 hah.. still too much for my blood.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my homework online tells me they are SPI coated pistons.. many people use them and have no problems at all. Sound right?

Matter of fact.. the member on here "fireball coatings" coats them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
i would buy the kit for 140.thats not bad i paid that a piece for my 440 pistons at cat dealer.if you get the 3 its a mached set no problems later with the crank.or an old cracked piston going threw your case that will cost more in the long run.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am pretty sure Riken makes the piston rings for the suzuki motor. Art Sudco probably makes the oem pistons. I think the aftermarket pistons and rings from Lemans and Kimpex and SPI are all fine. Just be careful never to use an E clip on the piston pin. Only use the simple wire ones that come on the factory pistons. I have seen the other style (ones you put in with a snap ring pliers) fail. The vibration makes the snap ring holes break off and annihiliate the piston and cylinder. I think they are all balanced the same so you can just change one. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arcticcatmattt @ Mar 15 2007, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
my homework online tells me they are SPI coated pistons.. many people use them and have no problems at all. Sound right?

Matter of fact.. the member on here "fireball coatings" coats them.[/b]
That some cool info, had no idea. He's not far from me.

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (turbocat1000 @ Mar 15 2007, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have been following your posts,questions and photos. With the miles you have I would replace all three pistons without a doubt. I have never used kimpex pistons but know of people who have with good luck. I have used SPI or SPX cant remember which it is, infact I have a set in my zrt600 right now, they have a graphite pad on the shirts to prevent scuffing so they say. I know of 260HP race engines with these pistons. They are fairly resonable price, I can check the name for sure and maybe the part number as well tomorrow if you like I am pretty sure I still have the boxes they came in. Although Im not a fan of kimpex stuff I think you would be fine with their pistons. I aquired a 650indy a few years back that had caged needle bearing come apart the piston (kimpex) took an aweful beating and done alot of damage. The piston was well beat up and cracked however it never actually broke. That machine has kimpex in it again and is still running strong, however in the more powerful zrt I'd go with OEM or the SPI/SPX.[/b]
listen to this man^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and/or dealer #2,,,,,, both kimpex and SPI pistons have a very good track record in the powersports industry, I over the yrs have sold countless sets of kimpex and spi rings and piston kits, my customers have always been happy,, those that say to use oem only have no clue, the spi/kimpex rings work awesome in oem pistons,, lemans,, that's another story (both piston and ring wise)<<<JUNK!</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arcticcatmattt @ Mar 15 2007, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Right!! :thumbsup:

interesting to know,,,

·
Registered
176 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arcticcatmattt @ Mar 15 2007, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Were all the auctions you listed SPI pistons? If not which one was?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Catman_zrt @ Mar 16 2007, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arcticcatmattt @ Mar 15 2007, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Were all the auctions you listed SPI pistons? If not which one was?
[/b][/quote]

I emailed the seller..The pistons are SPI. I emailed back asking what the rings were made out of.

I also emailed Kurt from the company that nicasil plates cyinders.. he said "As far as I know, you should be able to run any brand as long as they are not "high tension chrome" rings. " I double verified this on als snowmobile parts website also.

Maybe I am digging into this to far? Maybe I should just purchase a used good shape OEM piston, aftermarket rings not made out of chrome, get her together and call it a day.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^ Since the guy that plates cylinders says no high tension chrome with Nicasil.. and so does als snowmobile barn website.. I will steer clear of high tension chrome rings.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
Ive been running the spi, pistons and rings,
I beat the living hell out my machine and its been running awsum no problems
they are the moly coated ones and the top is hard coated too

I paid 180.00 for all three and that was with 3 new wiseco needle bearings.

dan

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arcticcatmattt @ Mar 16 2007, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
^ Since the guy that plates cylinders says no high tension chrome with Nicasil.. and so does als snowmobile barn website.. I will steer clear of high tension chrome rings.[/b]
feel free, they're just quoting old installation instructions directly from old Wiseco piston kits (chrome bore/electrofusion lining eras),, you'd freak if you knew how many newer wiseco kits have chrome rings listed as optional replacements in them for use in NICASIL lined cylinders, wiseco just recommends non-chrome to cover their a$$e$

·
Registered
126 Posts
Those auctions look like very fair deals to me . If I remember right I think I was into almost 350 for the SPI pistons and the winderosa gasket set. Since im in Canada by the time I paid the bid of 199 I would still have 300 into them. The SPI work fine , never had a problem with them, at 5000 miles change all three. Remember that there is a little truth to "pay a little now or a lot later"

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I emailed this seller http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...3815&rd=1,1

I asked who makes them and who makes the rings (what are they made out of)

If he replies they are SPI and not chrome rings.. I will buy them :)

I Just did alot of research on these. I read about 20 people perfectly happy with them, and I read one person that was not, and one person that says their rings are junk.

So, it looks like the vast majority says BUY THEM

I will inspect needle bearings, if they are fine, they are staying in it.

I guess this is a preventative maintainance top end rebuild. Nothing is really the matter.. I could install the heads and fire it up... But since its apart.. might as well

New head gaskets - Wrist pins, Circlips, Pistons, Rings - Total is $170.00

Not bad Not bad

IF I get these pistons, I am going to weigh them at work individually and see how close they are to weight. I am also going to measure them compared to my stockers.

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arcticcatmattt @ Mar 16 2007, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I Just did alot of research on these. I read about 20 people perfectly happy with them, and I read one person that was not, and one person that says their rings are junk.

So, it looks like the vast majority says BUY THEM[/b]
I do not promote Junk products, hence my dis-approval of Lemans corp piston kits/rings (pure junk IMO from past experiences)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ I concur.. everything I have had from lemans was junk.. but I never got rings.

I am making sure the rings that come on them pistons in the auction are NOT lemans. Most posts I read from people that bought these pistons say no problems with them after years of use. Even on mod motors and high HP. And one of the posters has a ZRT 600 also.

So.. as soon as he tells me they are SPI pistons and not chrome rings and not lemans rings.. I will purchase them.

by the way.. I have posted this on 3 sled forums to get more peoples opinions. This forum has the largest number of quality responses.. :site:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts