Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to know what everyone uses to make their pipes and cans look like new. Do people powder coat them or what?

Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just used a 1200 degree high temp paint. First I stript my pipe down to bare metal. Ceramic coating is good, but costs like a $100. I was going to try powder coating but some say it doesn't hold up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
just some rustoleum high heat paint. once or twice a yr, just sand down any rust, and paint. fast, simple, and keeps it looking like new.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where can you get ceramic coating done? Does it start to rust ever?

·
Registered
795 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wfocatman @ Jan 13 2007, 04:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
just some rustoleum high heat paint. once or twice a yr, just sand down any rust, and paint. fast, simple, and keeps it looking like new.[/b]
Ditto for me.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you buy the paint at any hardware store or off the net? Does ceramic coating rust ever?

·
Registered
128 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cat4ever @ Jan 14 2007, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do you buy the paint at any hardware store or off the net? Does ceramic coating rust ever?[/b]
I bought mine at a automotive store. Ceramic shouldn't rust if it's done properly. Bikeman I believe does ceramic coating, click thier link on the right.

·
Registered
49 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cat4ever @ Jan 14 2007, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Do you buy the paint at any hardware store or off the net? Does ceramic coating rust ever?[/b]

any hardware store, lowes, home depot will have it. not sure about ceramic coating, sounds awful expensive though. buddy of mine had his pipe on his 4 wheeler powder coated, and that didn't last.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I might ceramic coat my pipe. I have heard that it helps with even heat transfer in the pipe. Anyone else heard the same. I know they ceramic coat the pipes on sno cross sleds. :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
128 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OTTERSF6NF @ Jan 14 2007, 09:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I might ceramic coat my pipe. I have heard that it helps with even heat transfer in the pipe. Anyone else heard the same. I know they ceramic coat the pipes on sno cross sleds. :beer_cheers:[/b]
Thats what they say, better heat transfer, holds the heat better, for a bit better performance.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! I'm thinking about just using paint for a couple years until I can afford to get it ceramic coated. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Just my .02 worth, but I've had excellent luck with John Deere Muffler paint.
Semi flat finish, lays down flat, minimal discoloring at the cylinders. 12 bucks a can
and 1 can did all 3 pipes and stingers with a little touch up left over.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You could paint the pipe if you wan't, but every sled I will ever have in the future will be done similar to this.

[attachment=60787:Snowmobi...otos_002.jpg]
Stock pipe and can ceramic coated, and the heat shield powder coated. Total cost, $150. If you have a sled for 5 years, it is worth that not to have to take the stupid pipe and can off to paint it. Plus, this picture is 4 years old and it still looks perfect.

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turtlehead,

Where did you get your ceramic coating done? Your post just swayed me alittle. That looks awesome.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts