Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to get out again on Friday. Back to Swan Hills. Anything local has pretty much melted. They had a skiff of new snow and we laid down the first tracks yet once again. It was overcast for most of the day and I had a couple accidents coming over small hills......Those little cornices can be decieving when you can't see very well! Good thing for deep soft snow! One broken hand warmer wire and a really sore shoulder but it was still a great days ride.

Crossfire ran well and I'm finally getting the clutching back to where it should be. Managed to get the XS belt to work too!! I'll do a seperate post for that stuff.

Highlight of the trip.....an experience that made the day, is what we saw. We came off the cutlines and powerlines onto the trail system. We were coming through a small rolling section. As we crested one small hill I could see two figures at the tip of another hill just down the trail.Usually it's deer or moose, sometimes coyotes. As we got closer it looked like a couple coyotes. One of the animals ran off along a very narrow trail into the trees. Other bolted down the snowmobile trail and just kept going. As we rode up closer I noticed that it was running different than a Coyote and was much larger. Then it clicked.....right in front of my snowmobile was Canus Lupus....or better known as a Grey Wolf!! I have always known they are out here in Northern Alberta, and all my times in the bush both summer and winter I have never seen one in the wild. Have heard them howling at night on occasion, but it's usually rare for anyone to see them (Only other time I have been near wolves was the ones that the lady I got my dogs from had as pets, up in Hay River, NWT). It was absolutely amazing to see them in wild!

It just kept running down the trail and wouldn't get off. Snow is too deep off the trail. Used the opportunity to get a snap shot while riding behind it. He was doing a good 30 to 40Km/Hr and did this for at least a couple miles before shooting down a cutline off the trail. We stopped and watched as it finally stopped on a hill and looked back to make sure we were not following anymore. Looking on the trail we noticed their tracks going back and forth for miles. They were obviously using the trail system to get around due to the deep snow off trail. At one point we came across a Moose kill and all that was left is the hide!

I snapped a couple pics of the paw prints. My hand is 8" long from the break of my wrist to the tip of my finger. If I made a fist I could put it inside the paw print.

Made my day!!

We're hoping to get out there again this week and if I'm lucky the two wolves will still be cruising the trails too.

[attachment=66902:Swan_Hil...WOLF_001.jpg][attachment=66903:Swan_Hil...WOLF_004.
jpg]
[attachment=66904:Swan_Hil...WOLF_005.jpg][attachment=66905:Swan_Hil...WOLF_007.
jpg]
[attachment=66906:Swan_Hil...WOLF_008.jpg][attachment=66907:Swan_Hil...WOLF_009.
jpg]
[attachment=66908:Swan_Hil...WOLF_010.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
Another set of sweet pics.

And you told me that you were chasing coyotes in those bushes. :tongue_nana:

On the trails last year, my brother and I followed a coyote for a few miles. He stayed ahead of us in the corners by not losing stride. On the straights, we could catch him. I was impressed with thier speed. 35-40 mph. That wolf must of been impressive.

Glad your XF600 was running great. If it was an 800, you could of caught it's tail on fire. :beer_cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts