Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up an annoying squeek......found it!!

Well 1700 miles and 3 winters of snowplowing......the TRV finally is giving me a "sign" that something my be broken/worn out.:huh:

It's got a VERY annoying squeek squeek squeek... coming from somewhere's in the front end. It's only when it's in 4x4 & under load (pushing snow) so I've hopefully narrowed it down to what I believe is either a cv joint - bearing - or front driveshaft U-joint.
I can't duplicate the noise when I jack up the front end and give things a spin and everything feels tight.
The TRV got a real good thawing out yesterday (took it to work to clear snow then put it inside for 4 hrs to melt/dry)

I at first thought it may have been a frozen brake.....but the sound returned with a vengence today when I fired 'er up to clean up snow I'd showeled off my roof.

CRAZYOOPER thinks it's probably a bearing.....but there's NO visible play in the cv shaft at the diff.
I've never touched ANYTHING in the front end so I'm fishing.I dunno

I'm hoping to be able to fix this myself so any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks all!!

·
Administrator
8,655 Posts
You Were Out In The Cold / Wet / Snow
You Gave It A Nice Warm Place To Dry Out & Rest
You Then put The Cat Back Out In The Cold / Wet / Snow
Did The Sound Come Back Right Away Or After Putting It In 4 wd
Could Be A Little Rust / Salt / Dirt I dunno
Happy Holidays

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pretty much as soon as I threw it into 4H and hit my first snow pile.

It had been making the noise earlier this wk and a wee bit yesterday before I thawed 'er, but pretty much intermitently so I couldn't narrow it down.

My brakes were iced up so I figured that was the problem.I dunno

I didn't run the TRV up and jam on the brakes.....hmmmmm.....

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
im thinking u joint or bearing as well. unless you have a brake partially froze up. im swapping some cv shafts this weekend too (get rid of the clicker) but today i noticed when i hit the brake the engine wants to fall on its side LOL im starting to eye up motor mounts... just too much snow in ND...........NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i do have piles that sit as tall as me on the atv now lol good luck finding the squeak if you cant load it up and drive it over here to my heated garage to look at it HAHA

·
Super Moderator
5,047 Posts
Im sorry Im not any help buddy, but my first impulse
is too much Mr Clean,,,,
:baum3:Have a good one, and I hope its something simple! Frank

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im sorry Im not any help buddy, but my first impulse
is too much Mr Clean,,,,
:baum3:Have a good one, and I hope its something simple! Frank
:lol:

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
of course......it didn't help much trying to narrow down where the sound is coming from since that a new ALARM went off when I hit the headlight switch.............

isn't that right Yoop??.................:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
you know brad i think they are on to something maybe it is just too squeaky clean!na na

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you know brad i think they are on to something maybe it is just too squeaky clean!na na
:blink:
WHAT??! that's just crazy talk!:lol:

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
You Were Out In The Cold / Wet / Snow
You Gave It A Nice Warm Place To Dry Out & Rest
You Then put The Cat Back Out In The Cold / Wet / Snow
Did The Sound Come Back Right Away Or After Putting It In 4 wd
Could Be A Little Rust / Salt / Dirt I dunno
Happy Holidays

I think that narrowed it down pretty good. Sounds like that's your fix! Clap

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I replaced my U joint this year and the signs of it wearing out was more of a "click click click" sound, or more like a ticking sound. It actually didn't seem to matter if it was in 2WD or 4WD.

I would suspect the front bearings since engaging 4WD and plowing would put pressure on them more.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ya know.....some days I think I suffer from head trauma.:Bangin:

I never checked for any "play" in the front end at the actually HUB - which coincidentally is when the front bearings ARE.......not at the diff end.....

I'll checking that today......

Thanks ALL and have a great Christmas!!:beer_cheers:

EDIT: FOUND IT!!

the front driveshaft U-Joint. I jacked 'er up and shook and pulled on everything & was pleased to re-affirm thatr everything is tight.Clap
I then noticed that the front U-Joint had a bad surface rust build-up. So I grabbed my trusty can of WD-40 and gave it a soak and let it sit for 15min. Put the tires back on lowered 'er off the jack and took it for a spin.

SQUEEK GONE.woot

I'll see how long it stays quiet and if need be replace it in the spring.

·
Administrator
8,655 Posts
Your Letting Me Down On Your Cleaning:lol:

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Myself, I would change out the ujoint now vs. waiting for it to go. I had a rear ujoint go out on my 650V2 and when it did, it took out the starter and clutch cover with it as i was under load and she grenaded. They only run $15-20 (you can get them at Napa...I believe it's a 392 Ujoint, but they'll have to order it in). Not a hard job to do.

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Myself, I would change out the ujoint now vs. waiting for it to go. I had a rear ujoint go out on my 650V2 and when it did, it took out the starter and clutch cover with it as i was under load and she grenaded. They only run $15-20 (you can get them at Napa...I believe it's a 392 Ujoint, but they'll have to order it in). Not a hard job to do.

CrazyYooper and YooperGirl were over visting the Wifey & I yesterday, and he urged exactly the same thing. CHANGE IT NOW!
After a bit of contemplating and realizing just how spendy it could get by waiting till it "grenaded":eek:hmy_old:........that's exactly what I'm going to do.

I'll get a U-Joint at NAPA this wk and the plan is to head out to Yooper's place (it's heated) and swap it out in the next few wkends.

·
Premium Member
3,970 Posts
glad your fixing it looks like a new years storm possible too so fix it fast... merry christmas to you and your wife.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I had contemplated doing it myself but after talking to the dealer he said it needed a special tool to get it out and in. My dealer replaced mine. The old one was shot, most of the needle bearings were gone already.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I had contemplated doing it myself but after talking to the dealer he said it needed a special tool to get it out and in.
Yea, I'd been wondering about that. SO I google'd AC ATV tools and found what your dealer was talking about:

SKU# 0444-128 for $170!!

It's description lists it as a "U-Joint SEPARATOR"

To me it looks like a simple C-CLAMP compression tool for installation, and has nothing to to with removal. Popping the clips and using a smaller socket and few whacks with a hammer after a good WD-40 soak should be all I need to do. (done a few in my truck 4x4's)
It doesn't look like a "cake-walk" by any means.....but I'll try it.:Bangin:

Thanks Mike!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Gravy. All you have to do is remove the two front diff bolts, slide it forward and allow you to remove the driveshaft. Once removed you can easily swap out the ujoint. I would just do both ujoints right now since you're there ya know?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
Sanny651
Arctic Cat Forum
Arctic Cat forum is a community to discuss Arctic Cat 400, 440, 500, 650, snowmobiles, sleds, ATV's and more. Join the fun!
Full Forum Listing