Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a decent 85 Kitty yesterday and brought it home for my daughter. Its in pretty decent shape and runs well, but could benefit from some TLC. I would like to strip the hood and repaint it due to a few cracks that need repaired by the hinges. Has anyone come across decals for this vintage sled? I looked online and dealers want $70-$80 just for the reflective tape around the bottom. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Decals and all parts are still available from Arctic Cat for this sled. I wouldn't worry too much about making the hood mint right now, she's going to hit something the first season she gets on the machine anyway.
I wrapped foam pipe insulation around the front bumper on our yard kitty cat. It has saved damage a few times now. You can see that your bumper has been bent in the past.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
I have the exact same one as yours. In mint shape. Still trying to get my grandkids to ride it. The 5 year old almost took it for a spin this winter but after she got on it and gave it the gas it surged forward and that was it. She was off like lightning !

Steve

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should probably fight my urge to make it perfect and just put it away as is. Other than cosmetics, its in perfect mechanical condition. It would probably be much more painful to watch her smack up a fresh restore.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I have the exact same one as yours. In mint shape. Still trying to get my grandkids to ride it. The 5 year old almost took it for a spin this winter but after she got on it and gave it the gas it surged forward and that was it. She was off like lightning !

Steve
I had to kinda force my 3 1/2 year old to go everytime, but once he got going it was hard to get him off of it.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
There is a few decal kits on Ebay some one re made. I was looking at them the other day. We got a 77 kitty cat for my nephew. Couple of things to help you out. Buy a lift kit other wise the darn thing the running boards get hung up on the snow. There worthless without it in snow over 2 inches deep. Also we bought a newer style track it has longer lugs on it. That is not a must as much as the lift kit but it helps. Our track was ripped and dry roited. The clutch on them are JUNK from the get go. Might need to be cleaned up and looked at. The spring in side likes to hang up and a bushing wears out. You can get the bushing. The other thing is it needs to be re jetted if it hasn't. There fat pig rich from factory. We put a 67 main jet for summer time. at 60 degrees its just turning brown color. 70 main jet is what I run in the winter it will be safe. Think they came factory with a 74 main jet. HPE sells jets there like $3 it really woke the thing up. It is night and day difference. If you dont jet it down it just bogs out and fouls the plugs even in the winter. Check what size of jet you got and just order a few sizes. Also put a 2x4 chunk of wood under the fuel tank to raise it up. There gravity feed and the fuel line is even with the carb if you look at it. Raising it up a little helps a lot because there is no fuel pump. You look at the sled you'll see what I am talking about raising the fuel tank. Cat didn't do a real good job of making the sled from the get go. I can't believe they built the thing that long and never changed a thing to make it better.
There is a website called Olsen brothers racing has tons of kitty cat parts.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
To be honest I wouldn't get new decals and stuff for it. Until she is done riding it. My nephew the first thing he did was run into a parked car in the yard with it and busted the hood and belly pan all up on it. We told him not to go any where near the cars. Kids listen real well you know. You turn your back and there gone. Its in great shape from the pictures. Its going to get battle scars trust me.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Another thing that high rise kit is on ebay. There is no mods to the sled it just bolts on. Took me about 15 minutes to put it on. Comes with two sides that that rise it up and 2 longer spindles in the front. When your kid is grown up and done riding it you can take the kit off and re sell it. Its the best bang for the buck for a kitty cat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.