Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$350. It has 2 engines an 800 and the 900. 900 has some crank issues, 800 has a blown piston and it blows water out the radiator cap/ tank. I can part it out and make some $$. But this thing is way too nice to do that. Seat is perfect as is the hood/ 1.25 studded ripsaw track/ suspensions are all good. Gonna need some help from the members to decide what to do with it. Some say the 900 jugs will go on the 800 bottom end and if thats true, it will probably be the way to go. What are some of the problems associated with these motors? Its a carb machine and I believe they need some serious cleaning. I own a 2015 ZR8000 and that engine seems to be bullet proof. One of the 900 jugs has some scratches in it and would need 2 new pistons, 800 same thing.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Nice, I have a 02 zr 800/900 with 800. Bottom and 900 top end. Problems are apv valves hitting the pistons. Get shims for it, weak motor mounts. Get a torque link. Chain case bearings don’t last. High idle issues. If you have a 9 tower clutch check for cracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk FastCat123$&.6doozr9000

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
800/900 twin great engines.
i have alot of parts if you need something.
if you have whole bad crank 900 motor then you can swap 900 valves over also.
with new pistons and replacement cylinder
jet it for the 900 engine.
can always go big bore.
put m1000 pistons in the bored over 900 jugs.
i have 1 set of spacers left for the conversion.

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I helped my friends son put an 800 in the sled last December. Basically he used my heated barn and all my tools. The used engine was sitting outside for years. It fired up and smelled like varnish. told him to go thru the carbs, dont know if he did or not. He rode it for 70 miles, it ran good. Went to the yooper and it over heated in the first 20 miles. Antifreeze shooting 2 feet in the air from cap ( guessing head gasket) He has given up and opted for a more dependable and much newer sled. Im thinking its worth a shot to fix it but dont want to get too much invested. Where do I get shims for the APV's?

Reactions: CatFever900

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
you can make them from flashing for your chimney.
i may have a set or 2.
i do have a few sets of stock 900 valves, with cables and servo motor.

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have flashing. So I can figure that part out, thanks for the the tip. I dont have the sled yet, it will be delivered soon.

Reactions: CatFever900

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
depending on the thickness you have, you may have to double up the flashing.
the shim is to move valves away from piston
you must use the 900 valves if you put 900 top end on the 800 lower.

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok gotcha

·
Super Moderator
8,769 Posts
Tiggershark, I hope you do this project. It sounds like it could be fun. Impressed with the cost so far. :giggle:

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I know the 900 is an animal and I'd only ride it on smooth trails. My oldest boy wants this sled so we have a project together. Its nice that they offered it to me early so I can look it over and decide which way to go before the season starts.

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
the 800 is good.
900 great
we have 3 long track ones.
we ride trail and off trail mostly and ditch bang them also.
had a 975 and 1010
the 1010 was an animal
twin pipes, mono head , ported ,reeds and spacers
the grin factor was amazing

·
Premium Member
3,125 Posts
i have new,
used and replated 900 jugs.
used stock heads
used slp pipes and stock
v force reeds
spi pistons new
reed spacers
speedwerx heads with different compressions
rkt mono head

new reverse kit with flap
i used purple skid pan

if you need anything pm me

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, once it arrives, I'll be giving you a shout out.

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have possession of it, but haven't dug into it yet. He has one more box of parts to drop off also. I'l try to get some pics of it posted. Getting pics from my phone to this forum is kinda difficult.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Nice find. Wish i could find deals like this.

·
Registered
10,709 Posts
I have possession of it, but haven't dug into it yet. He has one more box of parts to drop off also. I'l try to get some pics of it posted. Getting pics from my phone to this forum is kinda difficult.
tiggershark, if you use tapatalk on your phone it’s as easy as hitting a button. Quick and easy.

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dont have tap talk. I use google photo and its a pain to get a picture to a forum. I used the basic camera (no phone) and load them into my computer, much easier. i need my kids to help my figure out these darn phones.

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here it is.
SAM_1835.JPG
SAM_1837.JPG
SAM_1836.JPG

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have new,
used and replated 900 jugs.
used stock heads
used slp pipes and stock
v force reeds
spi pistons new
reed spacers
speedwerx heads with different compressions
rkt mono head

new reverse kit with flap
i used purple skid pan

if you need anything pm me
Im waiting on the cylinders , carbs, and the rest of the 900 parts to arrive. I'll figure out what I need exactly in the next few weeks. The SPI piston kit is of interest to me and maybe a cylinder.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts