Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the sport and could use some info. I just got my new to me 2000 pantera 1000cc and 2001 pantera 580efi back from a professional tune up. How hard should it be to pull start a 1000cc? I had to use 2 hands and throw my weight into the pull cord to get it going. The 580 was a little easier.

My batteries are weak, so I pulled them and put them on chargers, but I'm thinking of replacing them. Is the battery type a YTX20-BS for both these sleds?

Thanks in advance for helping a rookie.
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
the colder it is the harder it is to pull over 1000 triple
even harder if you up compression
cheap oil makes them pull over hard
never worked for me but
"they" say after ridding before shutting off
flip choke on and let gas kill engine
then in the moring it will pull over easier

·
Registered
533 Posts
I had an 800 triple pantera and it was not that difficult to pull over at normal winter temps 5-25F. Even the first start of the day would be no trouble, in fact I never used the electric start the 3 years I owned it. And once it was warm i could start it one handed while sitting on the seat. Of course at -30 & -40 like wbrooks is talking about the last thing i would be thinking about would be going riding, too cold for me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update for others that may have some troubles. I pulled the battery and charged it up. The battery checked out ok and was able to turn the engine over, but it still wouldn't start. Plugs are new, so I figured it was a fuel issue. I examined the choke and found that there was slack in the cable. The choke valves were barely opening. After taking out the slack it starts on the first full pull and almost instantly with the electric start. Moral of the story: check your choke cable.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.