Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 2001 pantera 1000 that keeps burning up belts. The clutches appear to be aligned when using an alignment tool and the secondary clutch is in good working order but I keep smoking belts and the primary gets caked in belt residue. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
13,972 Posts
It may be aligned, but is the centre to centre distance correct? Belt deflection should be around 1 1/4” IIRC.

·
Registered
10,438 Posts
Lift the back of sled and see if you can turn track by hand. If not you may have a bad bearing, sticking brake caliper, or the track may be too tight. You may also have issues inside the primary clutch. Could have a broken spring. Could be lots of things. I agree with the above, deflection should be 1 1/4". Check these and see what you find. I use the RED Brakekleen to get the rubber off the clutch.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I had a 98 PTA800, and it ate belts pretty regularly with all measurements spot on. It wasn't till I had the 3 huge pipes and giant muffler ceramic coated(Swaintech)that I seen vastly improved belt life. Under hood temps at lower trail speeds really tortures the belts on those ole big triples.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
yep.
worn springs also.
when was the last time the clutches were rebuilt?
also have you setup the clutching for your ridding style and conditions?
the wrong helix for your style for backshifting will cause the belt to heat up to quickly.
like tcatt said bad bearings in any of your wheels, jackshafts and worn out hyfax.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.