Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'VE NEVER ADJUSTED THE SPRINGS

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cranking up my springs today before I put my snowplow back on and snapped my spanner in half! :devil_angry: .....And this was with the bike up on a jack! Do they make a steel wrench that will fit our springs? :help

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I use one from a snowmobile tool kit it is made of steel instead of Pot-metal

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Broke 2 of them. While using them i broke many of the metal tabs on the shock. Now i just use channel-lock pliers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I broke a lobe off the shock as well when trying to adjust. I just use a pipe wrench now. Why they make them from such soft metal...

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Steel spanner works fine on mine, I also spray down my adjusting collars on the shocks with WD-40 so I can move them and they aren't all rusted

·
Registered
387 Posts
I didn't break the wrench but I did break a couple of "teeth" from the rear spring adjuster when I did try to stiffen the POS spring/shocks :angry_mad:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who hucked mine at the wall! :thumbsup: I went to the dealer yesterday and picked up another for $2.25 . I maneged to get my springs adjusted, but I did bend this wrench too....I think if I can get a minute this week, I'll buzz one out with the plasma cutter at work. -Craig <blockquote>P.S.- A funny side note....I had my shop asistant with me when I went down to the dealer, (my 2yr. old son), and he wanted to hold onto the old wrench when we got out of the truck. When we went in to the parts counter he handed it to our parts girl and shouted "PICE OF $HIT!!!"........We never laughed so hard...I'm just glad his mom wasn't with us! I guess I should watch what I say out in the shop when I have my little helper with me!</blockquote>

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
yes the stock one is junk, since then i use one from jegs its for my drag car coil over shocks but works well and doesnt break the shock as long as you take the weight off the machine (like floorjack) i also added thrust bearings to my shocks so they turn real easy.
there made by hal corp there for there pro mo star coil overs they work well and save your knuckles

·
Registered
232 Posts
still havent used mine .. question since this is the topic sorta..... I dont want to break my spanners but whats the best setting for snow on the front lol...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
b
Bought a 3 piece spanner set at harbor freight for 10.00 that and jacking it up off ground and wetting each shock end with wd40 makes it easy to do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think they were made of plastic. Mine just bent. It ended up in the wall. They should at least give a decent one when you buy a brand new bike.

·
Registered
456 Posts
broke mine within the first week of owning the bike and with it some of the teath off the shock adjuster.Onec I got it adjusted to where I like it I just left it alone.Plus I have aftermarket cv protectors on and it is real difficult to get to the adjusters now.

·
Registered
192 Posts
big pair of channle locks works great. lighter than a pipe wrench

·
Registered
656 Posts
I bent mine the first time I tried to use it... Grabbed a pipe wrench, cranked them to full stiff, and haven't looked back... LOL

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (splint @ Jan 12 2007, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Broke 2 of them. While using them i broke many of the metal tabs on the shock. Now i just use channel-lock pliers.[/b]

I broke mine also. So I use a big set of channel lock plires also.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also have broken 2 wrenches and busted the tabs off the shocks..just had to replace two shocks..pushed the spring retainers through the top of the shocks jumping the big fatty..was getting about 5-6 feet of air and about 25 feet distance... Rockerdude :catwins

1 - 20 of 56 Posts