Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 03 f5 and the check engine light is flashing can anyone tell me what it is. i allredy checked the coolant and made sure that it was full

please help

tim

·
Registered
597 Posts
I had the same issue with my o3 f7 yesterday I was riding on a plowed road with low snow and the same happended to me. I think it means get in some deeper snow quick!!! Thats what I did and it went away.

Chime in on this one all. Tell me if I am rt or wrong...

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Firecats are picky when it comes to overheating you have to stay in the snow ( at least a little). If it still overheats try and burp the cooling system, do a search and you'll find a thread that tells ya all about it. beer-sign

BTW.... BMP has a coolant update for the 03 F cat's that should help..

·
Registered
12 Posts
You are correct, Thundercat1, it is due to low snow conditions. Last year, up in Canada, riding on hard packed trails with very little new snow and little dust, the lights were flickering on each of our dashs. '03 F500, 05 F700 Sno Pro and '06 F700. As soon as we rode along the edge where the snow was loose and or hit some groomed trails, the lights went off. Firecats just need snow thrown up in the tunnel to cool them down.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thanks all. Dont mean to hi jack but does the light mean you almost overheatin or your already there? Any damage in my case??? the light was on for less than a minute...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well this past weekend I tried a different coolant in my F9 (runs very hot on the ice)and had great results I ran back to back to back runs with no trouble and running cool!! This hasn't been possible for me at all this year!! And two other guys I know tried it first...one guy with a RX-1 turbo(450 hp) said his temp went from 200* to 165* by swithching,and the other guy has a 1250 Mach Z that normaly runs close to 3/4 on his temp gauge and now runs under 1/2 just by changing coolant! So I'm sold but it is costly(not as much as a hot seize) it's around $17.00 for 1/2 gallon...Engine Ice is the brand and BMP is carrying it now. You need to drain all the old coolant and put this stuff in(comes pre-mixed) but is only good down to -26*F instead of -35*F. might want to give it a try!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Heard "Water Wetter" also helps. Sounds like Engine Ice would be a notch or two better, but since WW does not require a complete system change out it may be a decent compromise.

·
Registered
114 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SinisterSS @ Jan 21 2007, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Scratchers will help, but it really sucks riding behind someone who has them. Nothing like
getting pelted with chunks of ice constantly. :angry_mad:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (North04_F7 @ Jan 21 2007, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Firecats are picky when it comes to overheating you have to stay in the snow ( at least a little). If it still overheats try and burp the cooling system, do a search and you'll find a thread that tells ya all about it. beer-sign

BTW.... BMP has a coolant update for the 03 F cat's that should help..[/b]
I went with the cooling system upgrade. Light hasn't come on since.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'd find someone thats parting out an 04 or newer and buy there coolant resivor and hose that goes from coolant resivor to where the thermostat housing is. $50.00 bucks. Its not the easiest to install. Basically you have to re-align clutches along with Center to Center on your clutches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts