Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My step brother just msged me and said he wants my help replacing his head gasket on his 2008 700 suzuki powered cat. He said it was over heating pretty bad ( i know lol not me lol and rad was plugged) Anyway he said its eating coolant now and coming out the exhaust. So my question is what all am i looking at being damaged? I havent seen it yet and have yet to tear my motor down. Is it as simple as pull the 4 button head bolts and replace the gasket and retorque it? Im downloading the manual but its taking a while lol

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I would check the head for flatness, On a perfectly flat surface and a little light rubbing compound, slide the head in a figure eight pattern to insure all surfaces are equally flat and marked. May not hurt to check the cylinder as well but probably not needed. if it was using any oil, perhave rings and a hone job???

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wyo_H1_Cat @ Nov 8 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would check the head for flatness, On a perfectly flat surface and a little light rubbing compound, slide the head in a figure eight pattern to insure all surfaces are equally flat and marked. May not hurt to check the cylinder as well but probably not needed. if it was using any oil, perhave rings and a hone job???[/b]
Okay thanks wyo...He said it will not start for some reason im afraid he did alot of damage. So wyo what all is entailed in removing the head? The manual didn't really help does the timing chain and stuff have to come out or?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
on most motors you can wrap bailing wire around the chain and lift the head over it, the cams gotta come out though. sometimes there bolts that go up to. at the point you got the head off the cylinder is usually 4 more bolts, i highly suggest you take a look at the piston. a hone and ring is pretty cheap, if the walls are deep you'll need a bore and piston.

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks indiana mudcat...i kinda think this is above my head maybe ill just tell him to go to the dealer.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Okay thanks wyo...He said it will not start for some reason im afraid he did alot of damage. So wyo what all is entailed in removing the head? The manual didn't really help does the timing chain and stuff have to come out or?[/b]
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
on most motors you can wrap bailing wire around the chain and lift the head over it, the cams gotta come out though. sometimes there bolts that go up to. at the point you got the head off the cylinder is usually 4 more bolts, i highly suggest you take a look at the piston. a hone and ring is pretty cheap, if the walls are deep you'll need a bore and piston.[/b]
Cannot answer any better than this

1 - 6 of 6 Posts