Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out and put on another 100 miles yesterday. Some deep snow playing and a little testing.

This time around I have put in 69g weights (measured at 68.8g to be exact). Wanted the RPM's down a little as I have found that my XF6 seems to pull harder at 7800 than 7900. Put in a Fett Brothers Green/White secondary spring. Published rating is 198/288. On hardpack this thing would pull like mad on the bottom. A bit better than the Cat Orange secondary spring. Problem was that I was topping out at about 80 MPH and couldn't get much more out of it. I have seen 95 with another setup. I knew the finish rate was stiff as the backshift was pretty hard. Good for the deep, but not so good for all around. Based on yesterdays results I think my ideal secondary spring would be about 200 start with a a 250 or so finish. Looks like Goodwin has an Orange (Doo RER) spring would work well with ratings at 185/250. Might be the closest I'm going to get at this point and it does allow room for adjustability. I'm starting to see that the actual "rate" of shift from these springs has a big impact on the shift. Might be worht paying more attention to the shift rate than actual ratings. I'm getting pretty tired of testing and have a couple setups that work well. One more "kick at the Cat" this weekend and I will likely call it quits for testing this year and just ride, ride, ride. I'm sure we'll see a whole lot more tuning parts next year.

So our ride yesterday was awesome. Went out to Swan Hills and the snow is fantastic. Finding four feet of untouched pow (Good'n stuck) in some places, and groomed trails with 6" of fresh in others. Saw a few Moose and Deer which always makes the trip that much better. At one point my buddy crested a hill and I could see his brake lights come on right away. As I came up behind him there were two Moose right in front of him. He said he saw them at the edge of the trail and was prepared for them to cross, so no close call. good thing! Here are a few pics.

[attachment=63649:Swan_Hil...2007_003.jpg][attachment=63650:Swan_Hil...2007_005.
jpg]
[attachment=63655:Swan_Hil...2007_008.jpg][attachment=63656:Swan_Hil...2007_004.
jpg]
[attachment=63657:Swan_Hil...2007_009.jpg]

EDIT: turns out the Goodwin Orange is the Cat stock Orange, just different initial and finish rates put on their website.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I agree on the rate thing.

Cat green 110-280
D&D tan 110-320

D&D tan backshifts TWICE as hard...even right on the bottom end. Rate matters....size doesn't as much :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Each company rates there springs at different measurements - Thats were all the confusion is

Cats finish rate on there DD springs is measured at 1.625" 280# That same spring measured at 1.5" is 303# - Dont know there start rate measurement

Goodwin rates there DD (RER) springs at start rate of 2.4" and finish rate at 1.38"

[email protected] rates there springs at what measurement ??? I asked them and couldnt get a straight answer

EPI is also measured at different lengths

Straight from Craig at Goodwin - There DK blue DD spring(420-543)is thee closest to Cats Orange DD spring

Cats Orange DD spring - 2.5" 215# - 1.5" 303# 1.625" 280#
Goodwins DK blue - 2.5" 210# - 1.5" 305# - 2.4" 215# - 1.38" 315#

This was all before Goodwin decided to list Arctic Cats orange DD spring on there website - Same part # as Cat but again measured different

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bee1971 @ Feb 15 2007, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Each company rates there springs at different measurements - Thats were all the confusion is

Cats finish rate on there DD springs is measured at 1.625" 280# That same spring measured at 1.5" is 303# - Dont know there start rate measurement

Goodwin rates there DD (RER) springs at start rate of 2.4" and finish rate at 1.38"

[email protected] rates there springs at what measurement ??? I asked them and couldnt get a straight answer

Straight from Craig at Goodwin - There DK blue DD spring(420-543)is thee closest to Cats Orange DD spring

This was all before Goodwin decided to list Arctic Cats orange DD spring on there website - Same part # as Cat but again measured different[/b]
I understand that completely and yes it does make it difficult. When I spoke to Goodwin today they siad the Cat numbers they used were right out of the race manual. Someone is not correct. doesn't matter anyway. As for the Goodwin spring I have seen a post that stated tested numbers and they were 178/269 for the Dark Blue. My seat of the pants meter will tell me everything this weekend. Will be testing on Saturday and racing on Sunday.

I'm going to see if my dealer or someone I know has a spring tester and if they do I'll run my own numbers to be sure.

I was thinking that the Fett Green/White would be good for an XF7 that runs heavier weights. At 198/288, and the way it was working in the 600, it should work fairly well ina 7. If anyone close to home here wants to give it a try I'm offering.

·
Registered
193 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZRrrr @ Feb 15 2007, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bee1971 @ Feb 15 2007, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This was all before Goodwin decided to list Arctic Cats orange DD spring on there website - Same part # as Cat but again measured different[/b]
I understand that completely and yes it does make it difficult. When I spoke to Goodwin today they siad the Cat numbers they used were right out of the race manual. Someone is not correct. doesn't matter anyway. As for the Goodwin spring I have seen a post that stated tested numbers and they were 178/269 for the Dark Blue. My seat of the pants meter will tell me everything this weekend. Will be testing on Saturday and racing on Sunday.

I'm going to see if my dealer or someone I know has a spring tester and if they do I'll run my own numbers to be sure.

I was thinking that the Fett Green/White would be good for an XF7 that runs heavier weights. At 198/288, and the way it was working in the 600, it should work fairly well ina 7. If anyone close to home here wants to give it a try I'm offering.
[/b][/quote]

I am running Goodwins DK BL/Yellow in my secondary right now and its staying put - Measured at Cat specs around 195/290 in my Crossfire 7
Great backshift at zero preload on spring adjuster and seems to be working well with the 044 belt on the trails

Wife saw 108mph on very hardpack snow on Lake twin north up in Conover WI last weekend - Lake was smooth and fast by barrels - Very very fine line of full shiftout on primary clutch with zero evidence of any belt slippage - Primary looked good , but i didnt do a heat test of any sort on the cltuches while i was out there
I was around 95-96 on her stock Crossfire 6 - Her clutching is next - Probably next winter

1 - 6 of 6 Posts