Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 06 500 auto and a 07 700 LE, when travelling on paved roadway or shoulder both bike pull hard to the right. I think I have to ajdust my tie roads. If so, where can I get info on how to adjust them properly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
atvtom1 do you have the stock tires on?
I had that same problem with the badland stock tires which came on my 05/500 auto. The tires were terrible and wouldn't hold any air.
I replaced the tires with some mudlites and my problem went away. Just an idea...

good luck with it, maybe someone else has an opinion or suggestion.

Matt

:beer_cheers:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Yup, my Badlands do the same thing on pavement. And their also Junk!! Gotta pump em' up everyday, the front ones keep losing bead. Three more days till my Mudlites come in, and hey XL's weren't my first choice, for warranty purposes only, they can't be any worse then Carlisle tires...!

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Does it happen in four wheel drive or two wheel drive?

In automobiles with front wheel drive, a phenomenon know as torque steer will effect the steering wheel by pulling one way or the other when under acceleration. Torque steer in cars is usually caused by unequal length drive shafts. If it's happening on both machines at the same time, it's unlikely that you would experience the same problem simultaneously. Unless both were subjected to the same forces that would cause steering issues. If it's happening while in four wheel drive, put it in two wheel drive and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Mine pulled to the right too, in both 4 & 2WD with the GoodYear stockers.

I found it went away with higher tire pressures and using a more accurate gauge... I bought an AccuGauge 0-15psi dial gauge guaranteed accurate to +/-1%.

In the process, I discovered the gauge that came with the ATV right from Cat gave double-value readings.

The cheap gauge from Cat had me fooled into thinking I was putting in 6.5 psi. Got the AccuGauge and discovered that was actually 3.5psi.

·
Registered
445 Posts
my stockers pulled hard right

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (loners4me @ Jan 15 2007, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
my stockers pulled hard right[/b]

Pulling to one side or the other due to tire make/type is a new one for me. I could see uneven inflation having an effect if one tire is low. Don't understand how a tire design could do it? Just out of curiosity, if the tires were put on back wards, would they pull in the opposite direction?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Mine pulled to the right with the stockers on. Haven't had that problem with the xtr's.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Double check your tire heights too.
I have 27" Super Lights on my 700 & noticed it was pulling too.
Like AG said check everything with a qaulity low pressure tire gauge.
Then take a level & tape measure to see how high your tires are with equal pressure.
I found I had a rear tire that was 2" higher than the rest...really made it drive weird.
Super Light did good though & sent me a new tire.
Stephen in northern IN

·
Registered
741 Posts
BORAT, I believe it's because riding on the shoulder, you aren't LEVEL anymore. Not on the side streets where I come from. So with the cushy stock tires, if you are leaning to the side any degree, it will tend to try to go to that side, because tires can't hold all the weight of the machine. atvtom1 did say riding the shoulder. Pump them up or get a stiffer sidewall tire.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the 500 we have 25 inch Swamplites with 12 inch type 7 rims, On the 700 we have 27 inch Mudlite XTR's on 14 inch type 7 rims. Tire pressure is set to 6 lbs. on all tires, pressure gauge is probabl y not very accurate but will check tire height. I know the road is not level, but it pulls right even if I try to stay on the middle where it is level.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I have noticed that if I ride on my side of the road(hard road) it pulls to the right if I ride on the left side it pulls slightly to the left so in my case I think it's the crown in the road that causes mine.
Kenny

·
Administrator
20,056 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ Jan 15 2007, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I could see uneven inflation having an effect if one tire is low.

Don't understand how a tire design could do it?[/b]
cheapie tires = cheap production, production tolerances loosely ''followed''

with equal pressure per tire (even with accu-guage), different circumference tire from loose tolerances will cause the pull discussed here

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticMonster @ Jan 16 2007, 05:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
BORAT, I believe it's because riding on the shoulder, you aren't LEVEL anymore. Not on the side streets where I come from. So with the cushy stock tires, if you are leaning to the side any degree, it will tend to try to go to that side, because tires can't hold all the weight of the machine. atvtom1 did say riding the shoulder. Pump them up or get a stiffer sidewall tire.[/b]
ArcticMonster that was my exact thinking as well. On most roads there is a 2-3% grade to each lane (3% on the new 4 lane in NB and very noticeable when crossing the lanes) and given the weak sidewalls of the stock tires it causes the tire to squat more and run smaller, causing the pull.

atvtom1 does your cat handle bad when riding the dirt trails?? If not then I wouldn't bother adjusting the toe, unless handling is bad or twitchy. These things aren't ment to handle like on rails when running the blacktop, its just not in the tire design or chasis/suspension abilities. (Not condeming pavement riding as I have drove more then enough on it)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My daughter who rides the 500 says she notices the pull even on the trails, she also says she feels a dip to the right as if the right front wheel is lower, I'll have to put it in the workshop and measure carefully just how high the tires are along with the body height, I'll do the same for the 700. I'm still looking for a low pressure tire gauge.

Nobody has responded on how to check for wheel alignment on these bikes, does anyone know where I can find reference so I can at least check that out ?

Thanks to all

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
can measure the inner side of rim, front first then rear to check the toe in/out, recommend around 0 toe i believe i red someware on here (so both measurements should be the same). can adjust with tierods to center up where you need it to be and accomidate for left to right or viceverca. strap the handle bars straight first with a tie down or rope so you don't adjust then findout that yeah the tires are running straight and toe is good but bars are crooked.
or can do the old fashion way and adjust to eye and ride and adjust.
no matter what tire guage you use as long as side to side they are equal pressure you should not notice any major pulling but i do aggree on a road since there is a crown to the road for the water to run off it might pull to the right a bit. a flat field of grass would be a decient testing/adjusting area.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts