can't really say for sure, but if Lake Margarethe (sp?) in Grayling on Sunday afternoon was any sign,, it will be safe soon as long as temps remain fairly consistant,, not a single spot from M-72 showed water or thin darker ice from what I could see, Houghton Lake i'm sure last night alone, picked up i'd bet 2''-2.5'' in areas with little or no snow cover
I can't remember the name of the site but, I will look around on the net and post a link if I'm able to run across it. It's a fishing website that gives up to date info. on ice conditions and if ice fishing is permitted on a certain lake at that time.
Yea, we actually drove across it on Saturday and Sunday both. Never really sank or anything, plus temps were down to almost 0 degrees on sat night, so I would say as long as the cold weather holds the lake will hold just fine.