Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

i just pulled my carb off a 2004 AC ATV 400 4x4 auto. Since I bought it it’s been hard starting and the previous owner didn’t take good care of fuel management.

With the choke on it would start but you couldn’t touch the throttle or it would stop. To keep it running i had to keep using the primer lever. To me this it means it’s not getting fuel or running lean. Once warmed up it ran and started fine. I’ve pulled the carb and spent a lot of time reading posts.

at this point I have two questions. Three.

A good place to buy a carb rebuild kit? I see lots of them but the prices and comments are all over the place. Even the number of parts in the kits vary greatly.

while pulling the carb I found out the fuel shutoff valve leaks. It has torn and disintegrating seals. I’ve looked and found a few on Amazon and eBay. I’m wondering if anyone has bought a rebuild kit or found a good one? Again comments and pricing are all over the place.

lastly, I’ve watch a couple videos on doing the cleaning and rebuilding. There has been a couple comments about a post that has “initial carb settings”. I’ll record what they are as I pull it apart but I’d like to see the arrtival And I havnt been able to find it yet. I’ll keep looking but if someone knows where it’s at….. :).

ive Attached a couple pictures of the carb as an FYI.

Thanks in advance.
jim

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im in the Vancouver area. Surrey BC.

I’ve got a1970 CT90 I’ve been trying to resurrect so I have already invested in a set of JIS drivers. I’ve also seen a few techniques for loosening screws so totally appreciate the care to loosen the screws, I’ll be careful. I hope. :)

When I removed the carb and drained (caught the outflow of fuel) I got a ton of junk in the container I used. Unfortunately, it could have been from inside the carb or sitting on top of it. My helper dumped the container before I had a chance to see what it was.

I’ll pull it apart then see what parts I’ll need. By the sounds of your reply I’ve already read your post but will do more spare search.

I started putting filters and running Chevron high test, on all my small engines starting about six or eight years ago. I think it was a local lawmower dealer started me on this when I bought a new weed eater And blower. I’ve got a filter and new fuel line ready to go.

thanks for the reply I really appreciate where your knowledge comes from.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seems like my reply went the way of the dodo bird. I’ll try again.

I’ll look up dynojet. I’m looking at doing the carb this weekend. Hope its warm enough to work in the garage.

thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[
????
[/QUOTE]

Just commenting to Ferrix's reply.

I looked up Dynojet and it looks like its a kit for rejetting after having changed in the breathing/exhaust of your machine. Not something I'm interested in doing.

I was just looking up prices from a local AC parts supplier. The fuel shut of is between $38 and $70 bucks CDN depending on the model. I think i need to find out if my ATV is an MRP, TBX etc. I've just done a VIN search but i think there is a digit wrong its showing up as a 650cc. Ill go buy and check it today on my way home.

In the meantime it looks like its going to warm up enough to work in the garage. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@JRM7997 Ok, lets identify your model quick.
Is it long with a dump box? (Dump Box is TBX model)
Does it have independent rear suspension (FIS Fully Independent Suspension)
Does it have a solid rear axle? (no additional FIS)
Does it have Modular Multi Piece Rack System? (MRP - Modular/Multi-Rack Pack)

With a quick search 0470-445 is the P/N for almost all 2004 ATV's and i believe all 2004 400 ATV's (MRP, FIS, TBX, TRV)

Your Vin will start with a 4 (4wd) UF 04 (2004) ATV then a bunch of other numbers.
sounds like a great idea. it isn’t a TBX. No box :)

It has front and rear FIS.
It has front and rear MRP with a front lockable box.
I looked up TRV and I can’t figure out the big difference. Is the seat made for one or two? I can’t tell But I’m pretty sure you could seat two.

so it’s a 2004 AC ATV 400 (meaning 400cc) 4x4 (or 2 WD on the fly) FIS with MRP. And the vin is 4UF04ATVX4T254278.

The last 6 are over 225000 so I should expect the suspension components to be the newer style.

thanks Farris for the info and part number. I’m going to wait until after disassembling the carb before ordering parts. Just in case I break something.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TRV is the two up version, the wheel base is longer, has extra foot-rests for the second person, 2004 the TRV only came in the 500 I believe, 2005 the TRV came in the 400. If you had a TRV you would have about 8-10" longer frame, longer wheel base, extra foot rests, and a backrest. I've always wanted to find a 2005 TRV chassis with a torched motor, do a gear reduction and put my 400 engine into it.

just so you are aware the 400CC engine in 2004 is actually 375 or 376CC on paper. with a 0.5MM overbore it's a 381CC.

Than definitely not a TRV. Too short and no extra pegs. Only 375cc OMG. ripped off again. My CRV Is supposed to be 1500cc but it’s only 1498cc ripped off again :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the carb looks pretty good inside. Needle seats look hardly used. It only has a few hundred miles on it so i shouldn't be surprised. Except..... lots of fine grit. I think ill flush out the tank a few times and put a good filter inline. I'm heading out to watch the grey cup at a friends so will clean and put it back together tomorrow.

So im not going to order a kit but will definitely be replacing the shut off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts