Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it take to run a sled open carb?? I have a 74 el tigre FA and wondering why you can run it with nothing over carbs and it won't lean out but if you take an air box off a newer sled it will probley lean out and blow up?

·
5,963 Posts
Run it with the air box. All you will get is warmer air through the carbs which means less Power

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have run open carbs on my 97 zr 440 and 580 EFI. The 440 wouldn't even move, it screwed with air/fuel mixture. It worked for the 580 EFI but we put the air box back in anyway. Use the air box if you can. We tried running cone filters on each carb, but they leaned out the clutch side and was rich on the other.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My el tigre isn't made for an air box that's why I was wondering why it runs so good with out one and a newer sled runs like crap

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
That's exactly why. The el tigre is jetted for open carb.

In my experience I had 2 pod filters (sucking in warmer air off of motor) on my 95 ext 580 and the plugs and piston wash showed pig rich.

I put an airbox on and now due to the colder air charge my plugs are a light cardboard brown and piston wash looks good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts