Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There must have been a magnet in this tree I tryed to pass on the weekend cuz my A-arms on my left side went for it like there was!!! Need an upper and a lower no big deal. The thing is....I broke the little hinge that is formed in the hood and I have a couple of 3 maybe 4 inch cracks in that corner. What have you guys used in the past when that magnetic tree pops out in front of you. Any info on TPE Epoxy or fibre glass or whatever and then paint...does cat have a touch up paint?
Like to make it look like it never happened if possible. Sled is pretty clean untill this.

Thanks all

SPDFREEK

Another thing....Lexan hoods....anyone use one? Fit and finish any good? How about the 2002 style ZR hood....will they just bolt on? Look to be the same belly pans and hinge set up.

Any info would rock.

Later

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
From what I've been able to figure out the 2002 will be a different fit. One option is to get the whole front end, belly pans, bumper etc. I've been looking for a 99ZL hood myself, and have been trying to figure out what will work.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TTT

Someone must have had to repair their hood before.....come on body guys

Hook me up.

Thanks

SPDFREEK

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
I repaired one on my 96 ZR a bunch of years ago. THe front was cracked from the wind taking the hood wide open and snapping the cable. Broke the two front corners. I used a fiberglass repair kit (available at most auto stores.) It was my first time trying my hand at body work of any kind and it turned out acceptable. If you looked at it, you could tell it was repaired but mostly that was because the pieces weren't alligned correctly- my fault. The only real cosmetica difficulty was the spiderwebbing surrounding the area but that wasn't very noticable on the black hood. The two straight cracks I repaired where the hood screens were were almost undetectable. How bad is your hood damaged? If it's in pieces I'm not sure how well it could be pieced back together. If it's all still there you might be able to fix it. Heck, give it a try...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Joezr2 and Kev...not smashed to pieces it's just a few 2 to 3 inch cracks at the front. I'll try to get some pics up later.

Thanks man.

SPDFREEK

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
You will need to find out what type of plastic the hood is made from. I don't think fibre glass will work very well on the newer, flexible plastic hoods. They make specific adhesives and fillers for the various types of plastic. Do a search, here and on HCS, because I am sure I've read threads on this before.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
That's a good point. The plastic on my 99' does seem much more flexible than my 96' that I repaired. Would that really make a difference on a repair job though?

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Just read in the OSM magazine there is a guy in Oshawa that does it. Seems like he's really good. I'll get some more info later.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
The guy's name is Cam, his business is called 'The Plastic Surgeon' is number is (905) 728-5076 and he's located at 869 Nelson Street in Oshawa.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (joezr2 @ Mar 14 2007, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That's a good point. The plastic on my 99' does seem much more flexible than my 96' that I repaired. Would that really make a difference on a repair job though?[/b]
I would think only if you want the repair to last. ;-)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Went to a local auto store and got a two part epoxy for my hood. They make specific epoxies for each material you want to bond. I had a hinge bust off that had been fiberglassed back in first time, glass let go . Used the epoxy for fiberglass- still together after two years. I would think if you match your materials, you should be ok. Drill the end of the crack with a tiny (1/32) drill to keep crack from spreading. Good luck. my2cents

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have fixed a few hoods with a two part epoxy made for plastic car bumpers. The KEY is to get it CLEAN!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
You are on the right track with the epoxy - I found that 2-part marine epoxy paste works wonders - I repaired a hinge not long ago with the paste and some reinforcing fiberglass mesh. As stated above your parts need to be very clean - rubbing alcohol and rigorous rubbing with a cloth works every time. The paste is a little tricky to get mixed correctly - and it takes a complete 48hrs to setup (the container says 24 - do 48!!! at room temp) I also found that after the epoxy sets it can be lightly sanded!! My hinge looks as though it never broke except for a little additional paste that I used to reinforce the crack..

Whatever bonding material you use be sure to seal the bond with spray paint at the very least - oil/exhaust/gas can break down the chemical bond over time - protect the bond!!!

ArcticYooper

1 - 13 of 13 Posts