Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the saga continues with this 02 ZR 500 that I bought. It turns out a previous owner ported the cylinders. So when I went and picked up a used replacement for the one that was bad I now have 1 ported cylinder and 1 that is not ported.

The shop where I picked up the used cylinder said porting does very little and it won't make a difference. Before I put this thing back together I want to make sure that I'm not going to end up with problems.

So do I need to attempt to port the new used one the same as the 1 that was on the sled or am I okay to just leave it? I've attached some pics.

Thanks
Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
His point is that he thinks there is not much to be gained by porting the cylinders.

I think you could see potential problems running two different cylinders even if you get them tuned, but it could work just fine, but only until it doesn't. You'd have to jet each side different because the ported cylinder will require more fuel. The best thing is to run matched cylinders and if you want the greatest reliability, get another stock cylinder.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
His point is that he thinks there is not much to be gained by porting the cylinders.

I think you could see potential problems running two different cylinders even if you get them tuned, but it could work just fine, but only until it doesn't. You'd have to jet each side different because the ported cylinder will require more fuel. The best thing is to run matched cylinders and if you want the greatest reliability, get another stock cylinder.
Yeah I just looked at the other cylinder and noticed some porting has also been done on the exhaust so there is more then I originally thought. I'm trying to see what it's going to cost to get the matching ported cylinder replated to keep them as a pair. The piston wash was perfect (according to pelle15) so the jetting must be correct for those cylinders.

Dave

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Run em both the same. If porting doesn't do much why do guys do it? There are big gains to be made on certain sleds with porting. Not sure how much on a smaller sled but some or the T-cats and ZRTs see double digit gains when cylinder and cases are ported.

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
So the saga continues with this 02 ZR 500 that I bought. It turns out a previous owner ported the cylinders. So when I went and picked up a used replacement for the one that was bad I now have 1 ported cylinder and 1 that is not ported.

The shop where I picked up the used cylinder said porting does very little and it won't make a difference. Before I put this thing back together I want to make sure that I'm not going to end up with problems.

So do I need to attempt to port the new used one the same as the 1 that was on the sled or am I okay to just leave it? I've attached some pics.

Thanks
Dave
it will make a difference.
You need to find another stock cylinder or get your ported cylinder repaired.
You don't want to mix them

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Pm sent.

Reactions: Dave12
1 - 9 of 9 Posts