Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this topic posted somewhere else before but I can't seem to remember if anyone had a fix for this problem. I called my dealer and he called Cat and I don't think they are going to do anything about it. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
There's not a lot of info here, however assuming you are riding to what your profile says that does sound like something's binding. Not knowing your year and modle well that's only a guess. The one time I did test ride a M1000 the throttle seemed to have plenty of return to it. (resistance to squezzing it).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same problem with mine it wouldn't snap back to the idle position. What I ended up doing was spraying some simple green on a small brass wire brush and scrubbing the spring clean. It worked well after that. But, that was only Monday night and I haven't checked recently to see if it is still springing back as it should.

Aaron

·
Registered
16 Posts
I notice mine is loading up pretty bad when idling for a little bit, to the point it'll bog and smoke like crazy before it cleans up.

Wondering if my oiler isn't going all the way down to idle position and just oiling like crazy all the time.

2007 M8

·
Registered
261 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dirtydude @ Jan 12 2007, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I notice mine is loading up pretty bad when idling for a little bit, to the point it'll bog and smoke like crazy before it cleans up.

Wondering if my oiler isn't going all the way down to idle position and just oiling like crazy all the time.

2007 M8[/b]
the problem is that the oil pump is connected to a solid adjustable rod. It seems pretty impossiable that if the throttle closes, the would stay in a more rich mixture setting.

the Item I am talking about is #10

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 2007's are slightly different that the previous modles. The arm from the throttle bodies does not directly turn the shaft coming out of the pump that adjusts the amount of oil output. It connects to another arm piece that has a small foot (for lack of a better term) that pushes on another piece that fits tight on the shaft. As you open the throttle the foot pushes on the tight fitting piece which turns the shaft allowing more oil to flow from the pump. The problem is that as you let off the throttle the only thing that returns the pump to the idle position is the return spring. You can see this easily by looking down from the top at the oil pump and slowly pulling the throttle open. you will see the foot pushing on the other piece opening the pump up. As you let go of the throttle the arm returns down to the idle position but the spring doesn't have enough force to turn the shaft all the way back. (I don't know if this makes any sense to you but just look at your sled and do this and you should see what I mean) My buddy is an AC dealer and I had him look at all the M's and Crossfires on his floor and all of them were doing the same thing. You can stick a long screw driver down there and return it manually however once the throttle was opened again it would stick about 1/4 of the way from being closed. After reading the post of the guy who cleaned his I tried spraying some AMSOIL spray grease on mine. After about 10 open closed throttle motions the whole thing started returning as I assume it was designed. I don't pretend this to be a permanent fix however for now it will certainly be better than dumping all that oil in the sled while at idle. I hope this helps out. Sorry I can't explain it better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had M1000 in for cable replacement for fraying in half from the servo motor clip. The dealer checked exhaust valves when he was replacing cable and they were extremely dirty. When the sled was new we had concerns about oil pump not returning back to idle position. The power valves confirmed our theory. I think you did a good job of explaining the pump not returning if you know how the 07 is set up. We also used penetrating oil to try and get it from sticking. If anyone else comes up with anything better I would love to hear about it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (S2H @ Jan 12 2007, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The 2007's are slightly different that the previous modles. The arm from the throttle bodies does not directly turn the shaft coming out of the pump that adjusts the amount of oil output. It connects to another arm piece that has a small foot (for lack of a better term) that pushes on another piece that fits tight on the shaft. As you open the throttle the foot pushes on the tight fitting piece which turns the shaft allowing more oil to flow from the pump. The problem is that as you let off the throttle the only thing that returns the pump to the idle position is the return spring. You can see this easily by looking down from the top at the oil pump and slowly pulling the throttle open. you will see the foot pushing on the other piece opening the pump up. As you let go of the throttle the arm returns down to the idle position but the spring doesn't have enough force to turn the shaft all the way back. (I don't know if this makes any sense to you but just look at your sled and do this and you should see what I mean) My buddy is an AC dealer and I had him look at all the M's and Crossfires on his floor and all of them were doing the same thing. You can stick a long screw driver down there and return it manually however once the throttle was opened again it would stick about 1/4 of the way from being closed. After reading the post of the guy who cleaned his I tried spraying some AMSOIL spray grease on mine. After about 10 open closed throttle motions the whole thing started returning as I assume it was designed. I don't pretend this to be a permanent fix however for now it will certainly be better than dumping all that oil in the sled while at idle. I hope this helps out. Sorry I can't explain it better.[/b]

You did an excellent job of explaining.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After a day of riding the pump wasn not returning all the way back to the idle position again. I have now added a small extra spring which helps the pump return all the way back to the idle position. Hopefully it will stay in place and not zing off somewhere under the hood after dropping off a 30 foot cliff. I will update after my next ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I spent some more time today trying to make sure the pump was returning. It was very cold hear today (-8)and the oil pump would stick very easily cold and not running. The pump stuck several times half way open. I warmed the sled up and put it on lift stand. When the motor was running I could not get it to stick at all. I am just checking with the rest to see if you have tried this and if yours are sticking with the sled warm and running.

6mile If you look at your diagram and go from 2 to 4 and down about one inch this is the problem area. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
261 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shwinecat @ Jan 14 2007, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I spent some more time today trying to make sure the pump was returning. It was very cold hear today (-8)and the oil pump would stick very easily cold and not running. The pump stuck several times half way open. I warmed the sled up and put it on lift stand. When the motor was running I could not get it to stick at all. I am just checking with the rest to see if you have tried this and if yours are sticking with the sled warm and running.

6mile If you look at your diagram and go from 2 to 4 and down about one inch this is the problem area. I hope this helps.[/b]
I took a look at it last night and I know see what you are talking about. Mine was not returning all the way ether. Noticed if I let the throttle snap back it would return all the way, but every time. I sprayed a little WD-40 on the return spring and it seemed to help. Only problem is that WD in only good for about 1 day before it evaporates...

Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought maybe my can and or Y pipe was causing this bogging problem out of the gate. But after reading this it brings new light to my problem. I'm goin to take a look at this on my'n. Sounds like it could be a possiblitly?

Thank for all your info! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well the WD worked for about a day and now back to the same thing. will have to figure out something else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts