Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made my first adj. to the oil linkage rod. I noticed after removing the rod from the pump arm that the arm rotated much further than I expected. I also noticed it is possible to reconnect the linkage rod to the pump arm with the pump arm being nearly 180 deg. out of position. I only see one distinctive alignment mark on the arm and the pump body. Should these marks be in alignment with the throttle at idle position or at wide open throttle? Obviously they won't match now that I've made the adj. but given the fact that the pump arm will rotate nearly 180 deg out of positon one could really screw things up. If I know at what throttle positon the alignment marks should match I can start over and be sure to reattach the linkage rod with the pump arm in the correct positon. I have a 2006 700cc Crossfire and a 2006 600cc Firecat.

·
Registered
193 Posts
On the oil pump itself should be an alignment mark

On the oil pump lever , there should be two marks - Idle and Full open

(Idle position) With the oil pump rod attached to both the oil pump lever and throttle bodies , the idle mark on oil pump lever should align with oil pump boss alignment mark

(Wide open) Now put a rubber band around your throttle flipper in the wide open position

Now the full open mark on oil pump lever should align with oil pump boss alignment mark

However when you start lengthing or adjusting your oil pump rod , and at wide open throttle and you want to be in that 50-1 / 60-1 oil ratio
your alignment marks will be off slightly

At idle the marks should still align

There is a return spring on oil pump lever also - If your oil pump rod would ever come loose or fall off while riding , that spring should cause the oil pump lever to go to full open all the time

Make sense - Scott

One more thing - These oil pumps are not variable flow - Basically idle and full open - With adjusting the rod , your changing when the oil pump goes from idle to full open based on throttle position

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked again and found the mark it was hidden behind some greese. I doubt if the spring on the oil pump is strong enough though. I removed the linkage rod from the second machine I have and noticed it stayed put.
I have argued the point before on another thread refering to the low / high pump output based on throttle position. Sorry but I think I would still argure with the man that designed it. There is no way in Hell a very slight adj. in the linkage rod on the pump would have such a large impact on oil consumption if it is in low or high mode based on throttle postion. Try moving the throttle linkage after adj. the linkage rod two turns out. The throttle moves so very little in comparison to the movement the oil rod moves. I'm convinced the arm on the pump is controling a valve in the same way hydrolics work. Pump output is always constant regardless to throttle position. The linkage rod controls that output with a valve. A motor pulling an oil pump on a log splitter will transfer X amount of oil all the time, its only when you move the valve does the desired amount of oil get transfered.
Thanks for reasurring me on the pump arm. didn't mean to disagree so much but that whole low / high bit has me wondering if this is gosple or gossip.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts