Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 ZL600 EFI at an auction. It seems to run good, but the oil indicator light stays on all the time. The oil tank was abour 1/2 full, so I topped it off and the light is still on. Can anyone kindly point me in the direction to check or correct the problem?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 2000 t-cat with same issue I bought new with 0 miles. Oil light is always on since the day I bought it. I now have about 2100 miles on it with no issues "knock on wood". I feel it is just the sensor. It does not appear to have affect on the sled except having to check for low oil manually which I do anyway. 2 things I thought about doing to get the light to stay off. Ask the dealer if they had problems that year with the sensor and maybe putting a new one in or just disconnecting the sensor. But I have not done either yet. I guess I got use to it. But i'm glad you posted this question because now I know there is another 2000 Cat with same issue.
And maybe I will ask the couple dealers in my area if there is a fix.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Had the same problem on 01 T-cat. Mine ended up being main harness that goes up along hood got hot and melted wires down by connection in front of pipes, but that time lights wouldn't dim either. I would start with oil sensor and check wires [broken or frayed] or maybe grounds. Good Luck. Chasin' wiring is sometimes like chasing a mystery gal, you never know what you might find or end up with!

bang your head :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The oil light is just run off a switch under the oil reservoir cap. Unplug it and twist the dip cage while measuring the wires. If it goes between short and open then the cap and switch are fine but I bet that is where the problem lies

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a continuity check on the switch and sure enough the switch is stuck in the closed position which I think means the light stays on. I think it's time to replace the Low Oil Sensor (AC Part #0609-503). Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
727 Posts
My 01 T-Cat had the same problem. It was the sensor. I took it apart and fixed it. The float pushes up a plastic straw with a small maget in the end. The top of the sensor contains a reed switch. When the float and the straw falls, the magnet pulls the reed switch closed. I moved the float and found that if the magnet was too high, the switch would stay on. I pushed the magnet down lower inside the plastic straw and so far this is the first year it has worked right.

BP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts