Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2000 ZL600 EFI at an auction. It seems to run good, but the oil indicator light stays on all the time. The oil tank was abour 1/2 full, so I topped it off and the light is still on. Can anyone kindly point me in the direction to check or correct the problem?

· Registered
18 Posts
I have 2000 t-cat with same issue I bought new with 0 miles. Oil light is always on since the day I bought it. I now have about 2100 miles on it with no issues "knock on wood". I feel it is just the sensor. It does not appear to have affect on the sled except having to check for low oil manually which I do anyway. 2 things I thought about doing to get the light to stay off. Ask the dealer if they had problems that year with the sensor and maybe putting a new one in or just disconnecting the sensor. But I have not done either yet. I guess I got use to it. But i'm glad you posted this question because now I know there is another 2000 Cat with same issue.
And maybe I will ask the couple dealers in my area if there is a fix.

· Registered
110 Posts
Had the same problem on 01 T-cat. Mine ended up being main harness that goes up along hood got hot and melted wires down by connection in front of pipes, but that time lights wouldn't dim either. I would start with oil sensor and check wires [broken or frayed] or maybe grounds. Good Luck. Chasin' wiring is sometimes like chasing a mystery gal, you never know what you might find or end up with!

bang your head :beer_cheers:

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a continuity check on the switch and sure enough the switch is stuck in the closed position which I think means the light stays on. I think it's time to replace the Low Oil Sensor (AC Part #0609-503). Thanks for the help guys.

· Registered
730 Posts
My 01 T-Cat had the same problem. It was the sensor. I took it apart and fixed it. The float pushes up a plastic straw with a small maget in the end. The top of the sensor contains a reed switch. When the float and the straw falls, the magnet pulls the reed switch closed. I moved the float and found that if the magnet was too high, the switch would stay on. I pushed the magnet down lower inside the plastic straw and so far this is the first year it has worked right.

BP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.