Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have an 06 H1 SE and my manual calls for 2.5Litres and I seen and read that alot of guys are putting in 3.41litres? Does anyone know the exact amount they put in there H1?

Thanks,

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johnny1313 @ May 5 2007, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well, I have an 06 H1 SE and my manual calls for 2.5Litres and I seen and read that alot of guys are putting in 3.41litres? Does anyone know the exact amount they put in there H1?

Thanks,[/b]
Your engine will have 2500 ml stamped right into the casting in the vicinity of the oil filler hole. That's all you need to know. 3.4 litres is for the 500 manual engine. It has a transmission with gears that require lubrication as well as the engine. Therefore, more oil capacity. Over filling with oil will lead to problems. Stick with your ATV manual and forget what others say.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol. Wow, 4quarts.. Thats 3.7litres, and my bike which is a year younger calls for 2.5litres..lol.. Thats where the confusion starts.. I understand to go along with what my manual says but I don't want to be short on oil when ordered..

·
Registered
330 Posts
It doesn't make much sense to me either. Mine is an 07 and calls for 2.6 quarts(2.5litres).

The first time I did an oil change I went to the dealer and picked up 3 quarts of oil. I put roughly 2.6 quarts in and it didn't even show up on the dipstick. So I dumped all 3 quarts in and it was down on the very tip of the dipstick.

I went back to the dealer and picked up another quart. About a half a quart later and it was about 3/4 of the way up the cross hatches on the stick.

Every oil change since than has taken about 3.5 quarts to fill her up.

I don't know where they get 2.6 quarts from.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arctic4x4 @ May 5 2007, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It doesn't make much sense to me either. Mine is an 07 and calls for 2.6 quarts(2.5litres).

The first time I did an oil change I went to the dealer and picked up 3 quarts of oil. I put roughly 2.6 quarts in and it didn't even show up on the dipstick. So I dumped all 3 quarts in and it was down on the very tip of the dipstick.

I went back to the dealer and picked up another quart. About a half a quart later and it was about 3/4 of the way up the cross hatches on the stick.

Every oil change since than has taken about 3.5 quarts to fill her up.

I don't know where they get 2.6 quarts from.[/b]
I don't have an H1, but I really do have to ask this question, I'm sorry if I'm insulting you by asking, ok?

But you did screw the dipstick all the way in when checking it, didn't you? I'm just looking out for you, not trying to insult you.

Jay

·
Registered
330 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticDad @ May 5 2007, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't have an H1, but I really do have to ask this question, I'm sorry if I'm insulting you by asking, ok?

But you did screw the dipstick all the way in when checking it, didn't you? I'm just looking out for you, not trying to insult you.

Jay[/b]
No offense taken. In my OM it says to make sure NOT to screw in the dip stick. Out of curiosity I asked my dealer and he told me the same thing.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arctic4x4 @ May 5 2007, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticDad @ May 5 2007, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jay[/b]
No offense taken. In my OM it says to make sure NOT to screw in the dip stick. Out of curiosity I asked my dealer and he told me the same thing.
[/b][/quote]

Good enough for me! I'm glad you considered that.

Jay

·
Registered
410 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Borat @ May 5 2007, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (johnny1313 @ May 5 2007, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks,[/b]
Your engine will have 2500 ml stamped right into the casting in the vicinity of the oil filler hole. That's all you need to know. 3.4 litres is for the 500 manual engine. It has a transmission with gears that require lubrication as well as the engine. Therefore, more oil capacity. Over filling with oil will lead to problems. Stick with your ATV manual and forget what others say.
[/b][/quote]

2500ml=2.641721 qts

I have a 500m-its a wet clutch system, requires more oil. I also have that sight glass thingy-makes it nice to see the amount and color of oil.

my2cents

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah when checking your oil level you should NEVER screw the dipstick all the way in, it should only sit on top...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AKArcticCat @ May 5 2007, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Don't know about liters, but my 07 H1 takes just under a gallon or 4 quarts. Hope this helps.[/b]

Are you sure about that???

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
4quarts does sound like alot of oil, not saying that your bike didn't take it just saying thats alot compared to the manual saying 2.5litres....

·
Registered
176 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (V2RIDER @ May 5 2007, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AKArcticCat @ May 5 2007, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't know about liters, but my 07 H1 takes just under a gallon or 4 quarts. Hope this helps.[/b]

[/b][/quote]
Yeah I'm sure just changed it last sunday. It doesnt take a full gallon or 4 quarts. I bought a gallon jug, and there's about 1/2 quart left.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AKArcticCat @ May 6 2007, 06:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (V2RIDER @ May 5 2007, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AKArcticCat @ May 5 2007, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Yeah I'm sure just changed it last sunday. It doesnt take a full gallon or 4 quarts. I bought a gallon jug, and there's about 1/2 quart left.
[/b][/quote]

The engine case is stamped with the volume of oil required measured in milliliters. If it says 2500 ml. that's what you should be putting in it. You might find that overfilling it by a full liter may cause issues. Over-filling may cause excessive pressure within the engine and channel oil through the crank case vent into your air box. It can also play havoc on your engine seals. You'd be wise to stick with the recommended volume and carry extra oil with you if your machine is consuming oil.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
Overfilling your oil is never a good thing. I made that mistake once and ended up replacing the rear main seal.

Take a look at you owners manual and pick up an extra quart, you won't need it but it's always nice to have a little extra. Refill slow and start checking when you are a quart from capacity per the owners manual. Shoot for 1/2 to 3/4 up the normal operating range on the dipstick. Run the engine for a couple minutes and check for leaks. Let it sit for a few minutes and check the oil again. At this point the oil level has probably dropped 1/4 to 1/2 a quart. Top off to half way between high and low and you're done.

Don't look at the marks on the dipstick as Full and Low. Look at them as a range with the highest and lowest oil levels you should run, the middle of the range is the optimum oil level to run.

As for screwing in the dipstick. I'm pretty sure you screw it in on all but the V2s.

·
Registered
330 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PBPoison @ May 6 2007, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Take a look at you owners manual and pick up an extra quart, you won't need it but it's always nice to have a little extra. Refill slow and start checking when you are a quart from capacity per the owners manual. Shoot for 1/2 to 3/4 up the normal operating range on the dipstick. Run the engine for a couple minutes and check for leaks. Let it sit for a few minutes and check the oil again. At this point the oil level has probably dropped 1/4 to 1/2 a quart. Top off to half way between high and low and you're done.

Don't look at the marks on the dipstick as Full and Low. Look at them as a range with the highest and lowest oil levels you should run, the middle of the range is the optimum oil level to run.

As for screwing in the dipstick. I'm pretty sure you screw it in on all but the V2s.[/b]
I just went out and looked at mine and there isn't any volume stamped anywhere on the motor that I could find. The only thing that is stamped near the oil filler hole is some casting numbers and I think the vin number.

My manual states 2.6 quarts. However every oil change I have done on it, 3 of em now, if I put in 2.6 quarts it doesn't even show up on the dipstick.

I always end up with almost exactly 3.5 quarts. I put in 3.5 quarts, drive it around the yard a couple times and let it sit for an hour or two and check it. It is always between half and 3/4 of the way up the cross hatches.

According to my manual it states specifically Not to screw in the dipstick.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just thought of something after looking in my manual. It states that both the 500 auto and the 650h1 take 2.6 quarts.

How in the world can that be when the H1 has an oil cooler and the 500 doesn't. Are they trying to tell me that the oil cooler and lines on the H1 don't require any extra oil to fill them up? I call BS.

From what I have read the bottom end of an H1 is basically the same as the bottom end on a 500, and the top end is designed by cat??? I think thats what I have read. Is it possible that cat used the same casing on the H1 as the 500 and they already have 2500ml stamped into them?

If not, I dont' think cat is accounting for the oil cooler.

·
Registered
176 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (arctic4x4 @ May 6 2007, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PBPoison @ May 6 2007, 10:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As for screwing in the dipstick. I'm pretty sure you screw it in on all but the V2s.[/b]
I just went out and looked at mine and there isn't any volume stamped anywhere on the motor that I could find. The only thing that is stamped near the oil filler hole is some casting numbers and I think the vin number.

My manual states 2.6 quarts. However every oil change I have done on it, 3 of em now, if I put in 2.6 quarts it doesn't even show up on the dipstick.

I always end up with almost exactly 3.5 quarts. I put in 3.5 quarts, drive it around the yard a couple times and let it sit for an hour or two and check it. It is always between half and 3/4 of the way up the cross hatches.

According to my manual it states specifically Not to screw in the dipstick.
[/b][/quote]
Same thing here.

·
Premium Member
1,008 Posts
The owners manual doesn's state the oil capacity for the oil cooler or the filter, if the crank case is stamped2500cc, {2.6qt} then I'd say that another quart doesn't sound that extreme. I also had the same issue with mine at oil change, but just over 3qts got me half way up the crosshatched area after a good warm up.Theowners manual seemspretty generalized to me. I downloaded the service manual but now the damn thing won't open again. I'll try another download and research this issue further.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I just checked the service manual for the 06's. The 500 autos do say 2.6 quarts. The H1's call for 3.5 quarts.

The owners manual is on crack.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts