Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '98 440Z and the problem is my oil bottle cap seems to let the oil seep out and get all over the pull cord and belly pan. the cap looks perfect and there are no cracks in the bottle. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what I should do to fix it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
780 Posts
May be the breather in the cap or possibly the tank being cracked around the neck area. Does this happen if you only 1/2 fill the tank and drive civilized?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I know you carefully inspected the bottle for cracks, but you may want to double check the threaded cap area. Some folks really tighten down the caps and it can cause a fracture on older plastic tanks in the threaded cap area. As plastic ages, the plasticizers that keep it pliable and flexible dissapate and the plastic gets brittle and begins to crack. I've found the best way to inspect plastic tanks is to use a powerful flashlight and hold it to the back side of the plastic while looking for cracks. There is a common problem with some of the later model ZR gas tank filler necks cracking as well. Give it a careful inspection once more.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
AGREED..............common for the neck to break, also common for the cap to hairline crack or go on slightly crooked. I assume you've already confimed it's threaded on straight and the rubber seal is ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts