Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,
Looking for some guidance for buying new rims/wheels
Im new to bikes and what not so please take it easy on me..

Looking at getting 4 new tires and rims, gonna get kenda bear claw tires but having a problem sizing the rims/wheels..

Heres the pattern
12x7, 4/115 that i could could find for the rims
tires are
front -25x8-12
rear -25x11-12

Im trying to determine the offset and width of a wheel
Can anyone help a fellow out?

The bike is a 2003 400 4x4 manual fis

Thanks in advance Not worthy:

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
There's basically only 2 different offsets, one for irs suspension and one for straight axle suspension, so if you just order the 12x7 rims for your application you will be fine.

Reactions: clone101

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply...
I believe it has irs suspension
Where im getting my tires and rims from, they asked if it was 5+2 offset.. have no clue what that means.. Told me to contact A.C. to find out.. Thought maybe someone here could help me and save a phone call as there not open till monday..

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Where im getting my tires and rims from, they asked if it was 5+2 offset.. have no clue what that means.. Told me to contact A.C. to find out.. Thought maybe someone here could help me and save a phone call as there not open till monday..
The first number should be the amount of backspace and the second number the amount of front space, Add the two numbers together for total rim width. See this thread, http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/atv-tires-wheels/325587-can-t-decide-wheel-offset.html#post2487704 The first number should be the amount of backspace and the second number the amount of front space, There is a drawing at the bottom that explains offset. That drawing is for a 4+3 7" wide wheel. In the 5+2 scenario that would be 5" of back space and 2" of front space on a 7" wide rim. A lot of aftermarket wheels are a 4+3 offset. Using 4+3 wheels in place of 5+2 will increase track width 2" and result us a little more stable wider ride.

Warning there are some vendors who just flat don't understand it either and may wrongly list front space first followed by backspace. Maybe just a typo in their add? I've seen 4+3 wheels listed as 3+4 wheels when they are actually 4+3 if they followed the standard.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Yes its 5+2

5+2=IRS
2+5=sold axle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts