Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Octane I'm required to run in my '01 ZR 440 Sno Pro is 92.....Now my qusetion is some gas station near me only have 87 and 89...is there a way to increase the 89 to 92 with some sort of octane booster? if so what is the formula....anyone else have this problem and found the answer i would appreciate the answer to help limiting my travel distance...thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
buy some octane booster
not sure wich stores will have it i no NOS makes some good stuff
try any place with an automotive section maybe?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was at Napa today and all they had was some **** for 104 octane....i just want to go from the pumps that only carry 87 and 89 to what i'm suppose to run which is 92 according to manual...

·
Registered
25 Posts
yea itll be an up to 104 octane if desired
only put so much in it should say something on the bottle a chart or sumthing if not take a guess and put a little in

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
If this is where you are always going to ride and you don't have access to high octane fuel, I would not mess with the octane booster. I would put an extra base gasket in to lower your compression to 87 or 89 octane rateing and this will raise your exchaust port timing and should be a fair trade off. I ride with some guys that are always mixing at the gas stations and it seems to be a pain in the ass. Two of them have done this mod to there sleds and are happy with the results. Ron.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (omercityman @ Dec 22 2009, 04:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If this is where you are always going to ride and you don't have access to high octane fuel, I would not mess with the octane booster. I would put an extra base gasket in to lower your compression to 87 or 89 octane rateing and this will raise your exchaust port timing and should be a fair trade off. I ride with some guys that are always mixing at the gas stations and it seems to be a pain in the ass. Two of them have done this mod to there sleds and are happy with the results. Ron.[/b]
not sure what you mean by putting in an extra base gasket? and lowering compression...how does it work? and raise the exhaust port timing, is that something i adjust somewhere?...confused I dunno

·
Registered
282 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bckmstr @ Dec 22 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (omercityman @ Dec 22 2009, 04:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If this is where you are always going to ride and you don't have access to high octane fuel, I would not mess with the octane booster. I would put an extra base gasket in to lower your compression to 87 or 89 octane rateing and this will raise your exchaust port timing and should be a fair trade off. I ride with some guys that are always mixing at the gas stations and it seems to be a pain in the ass. Two of them have done this mod to there sleds and are happy with the results. Ron.[/b]
not sure what you mean by putting in an extra base gasket? and lowering compression...how does it work? and raise the exhaust port timing, is that something i adjust somewhere?...confused I dunno
[/b][/quote]

Putting in a extra gasket means taking your cylinders off and putting two on not just the one, Which in turn Lowers the compression, and Also raises your exhaust port timing no adjusting.....

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (beaners @ Dec 22 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bckmstr @ Dec 22 2009, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (omercityman @ Dec 22 2009, 04:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

Putting in a extra gasket means taking your cylinders off and putting two on not just the one, Which in turn Lowers the compression, and Also raises your exhaust port timing no adjusting.....
[/b][/quote]

Exactley as beaners said. Two base gaskets will raise your cylinders higher making your combustion chamber larger and you will get lower compression. This automaticley raises your exchaust ports, no adjustment required. Then you can burn a lower octane fuel. Ron.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will i lose any performance? also is this ok to do? will i lose compression in cylinders or damage engine by doing this in any way .....if i add the extra gasket will i need anything else? sorry for all the questions, but yea i'm a rookie and don't know if i don't ask...lol.....thanks guys for the input

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Yes you will lose some compression, that is the object. The higher the compression the higher the octane you have to run. Give c-note a pm and ask him about the timing thing. I'm not into the 440 sleds and he is the guru on them. As far as hurting your engine with the double gasket, NO it will not hurt it. You will lose a little performance on low end but will gain on top end with the exchaust port timing being raised. Talk to C-note. Ron.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
It might be worthwhile checking to see if they make a low compression head for that engine. The 92 octane head may already be a low compression head if the race heads were for race fuel.

There have been enough discussions on here in the past about octane boosters. That 104 stuff will not turn a tank of 87 into 104. It could take gallons of the stuff, well a large amount anyway, to raise 87 to 92, so those additives are not going to be a great way to deal with getting a needed fuel grade on an ongoing, season long situation.

Modifying the engine and/or ignition to get the engine to run safely on low octane fuel would probably be the best option for long term reliability. You will lose some peak performance, but that might be better than burning holes in pistons from detonation. Jetting fat might help a little bit too.

·
Registered
955 Posts
a problem i ran into for 92 is the gas stations dont sell much of it so its older nasty er stuff set in their tank longer im most cases your better off gettin 87 i ran mostly 87 in my sled last year same sled you have just jet a little heaver and put your timming knob @ 0

·
Registered
491 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bckmstr @ Dec 21 2009, 09:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Octane I'm required to run in my '01 ZR 440 Sno Pro is 92.....Now my qusetion is some gas station near me only have 87 and 89...is there a way to increase the 89 to 92 with some sort of octane booster? if so what is the formula....anyone else have this problem and found the answer i would appreciate the answer to help limiting my travel distance...thanks[/b]
If you don't need it all the time and you just want something for when you run into that situation , Lucas octain booster has been tested to give you a 3 point octain boost in 10 gal of gas . here's the link , but there's some other good sites if you want to google it and check it out for yourself . octane boost
IMHO though , i wouldn't worry about running less then 93 octane esp if you can retard your timing a bit .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts