Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bang your head

Now what do I do? Picked up the replacement sled with 1.5 miles on Monday. Rode 100 mile break in that night and left for long ride Tuesday morning. It started on fire the first time at just over 200 miles. I rode like an old lady on Wed. to the dealer. Other guys were pissed. It would start on fire at 60MPH. Thursday we opened em up and this was the result.

Cat has a major problem with these sleds. We need help. Move the exhaust back down like the 06 models.

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Favoritos; I really feel for you. Talked to dealer over the phone the day you were there and he informed me that you're brand new sled was having the same flaming issues as you're other sled. Told him to call me when you returned and I would head up from Houghton and that we could have rode our sleds and compared issues. Sorry that we didn't get the chance. Was at the dealers yesterday and was informed from them that CAT had called and told them a reflash and (new pipe or can) are in the works. I hope you had full coverage! Make your'e insurance claim and switch brands. There are a lot of other reliable sleds out there. By the way I heard this problem is only in MICHIGAN.

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xfired yooper @ Mar 10 2007, 09:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Favoritos; I really feel for you. Talked to dealer over the phone the day you were there and he informed me that you're brand new sled was having the same flaming issues as you're other sled. Told him to call me when you returned and I would head up from Houghton and that we could have rode our sleds and compared issues. Sorry that we didn't get the chance. Was at the dealers yesterday and was informed from them that CAT had called and told them a reflash and (new pipe or can) are in the works. I hope you had full coverage! Make your'e insurance claim and switch brands. There are a lot of other reliable sleds out there. By the way I heard this problem is only in MICHIGAN.[/b]
Insurance should not have to cover this. Cat should. I told them they could bring a truckload of these and park them in Mass City. I bet every one would do the same thing by the time they got to M26 on trail 3 going East, Reflash or not. These things will throw flames at the end of long straight runs every time. I think the exhaust is in the wrong place and the frontal wind pressure pushes the gases back into the exhaust to be let out when you back out of the throttle.

When this one burned, I wasn't even by the sled. We had flames start the plastic on fire and we put out the flames with snow. I told the guys that it was time to give up on the sled and we went back to the trailer to get the tow rope and supplies. When we got back, I took the picture with the most flames, UNREAL. We were in shock, gone 20 minutes and something hot in there reignighted and it was gone. I'm not even sure if anyone saw it start on fire, but if someone did see it, let me know what they saw. I would not feel safe parking one of these in my garage right now.

·
Premium Member
6,107 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pyrex @ Mar 10 2007, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
this is prolly just gonna make a bunch of people switch to REV XP[/b]
Don't bet on it! :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I feel really bad for you favoritos. Cat has really done you wrong and the season is over. 2 bad sleds in a row is more than just bad luck. Cat better smarten up or they'll loose lots of new and old "faithfull" customers.

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ride with guys that bleed green and they are not too happy about getting to know the service guys and dealers in every area that we ride. The service has been excellent when the dealer knew what to do toward fixing the problem.

This model has left them all stumped. Cat appears to be stumped as well. I keep telling these guys that the exhaust is in the wrong place. Re flashing the ECU did nothing. Many people say the M sleds have had the exhaust in the ski well for years with no problems. I know that a M sled would be overheating riding down the long straight trails, so I think that they would never run long enough to see the issue. Either way, exhaust out the bottom wouldn't start the plastic on fire like these things do so easily.

This has been the worst year for problems by far. Normally we may lose a part of one trip for a bad piston, etc. We were in the shop at least once during every trip this year and the sled sat at the dealer back home virtually all the time between trips. The end result was nothing was fixed and the last trip had the worst outcome of the year. That is the part that really sucks. Where do we go now? I love the ride of the CF and it's ability to get through the junk, but how can you trust the sled?

·
Premium Member
4,622 Posts
Unf**kingbelievable! I have been following along with your troubles and this is unreal, I hope that you'll keep us all informed as to how this is resolved by Cat, that really tough, I feel for ya dude, good luck! Dog

·
Registered
17 Posts
I to am having a fire issue on my XF 800 . It is in the dealer right now along with a seized drive .
They have not looked into it yet and I'm not pushing because of the sad situation there .
I hope that cat doesn't just re flash and send me on my way . Frankly I'm afraid to go far on it .
Also it is the end of the season and will I have next years season ruined as well . I tell you I love this sled
But they will need to redesign something for me to feel comfortable 50 miles from home

·
Registered
113 Posts
Maybe time to notify the C.P.S.C. Or as Ron mentioned ,possibly A. G.. I hope we do not have to resort to this kind of action but if CAT doesn't step up we may have to.

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xfired yooper @ Mar 10 2007, 10:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Maybe time to notify the C.P.S.C. Or as Ron mentioned ,possibly A. G.. I hope we do not have to resort to this kind of action but if CAT doesn't step up we may have to.[/b]
I have sent a letter to the A. G. already. Tomorrow I'm doing the C.P.S.C. I don't want to do it this way, but we all should have a sled that rides as good as the CF. It should be safe! ! Cat will do something, but no one should have to lose another season to issues like this. I would ride the CF again if the sled was made safe to ride. I rode a backup F8 after this thing went down and I felt like I was working harder to keep it running down the trail. It felt squirrly. The CF is comfortable for my style.

We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (favoritos @ Mar 10 2007, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
bang your head

Now what do I do? Picked up the replacement sled with 1.5 miles on Monday. Rode 100 mile break in that night and left for long ride Tuesday morning. It started on fire the first time at just over 200 miles. I rode like an old lady on Wed. to the dealer. Other guys were pissed. It would start on fire at 60MPH. Thursday we opened em up and this was the result.

Cat has a major problem with these sleds. We need help. Move the exhaust back down like the 06 models.[/b]

Is this isolated to the 07 xf 8 ,cuz I'm seriously looking at an 06 xf 7......

·
Super Moderator
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thesledsurgeon @ Mar 11 2007, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (favoritos @ Mar 10 2007, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
bang your head

Cat has a major problem with these sleds. We need help. Move the exhaust back down like the 06 models.[/b]

Is this isolated to the 07 xf 8 ,cuz I'm seriously looking at an 06 xf 7......
[/b][/quote]
The xf 7 has the exhaust coming out of the belly pan and a different motor that has already been proven on the trail. I doubt that you will ever see this problem on that sled. You'll love the ride.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow This is crazy.....For what its worht I had an EB700 I loved that sled but I wrecked it...SO I go buy this xf800 sp And its ok but its not my 700 buy any means..It rides different the footwell seem smaller I dunno..I finally got to ride itt for 140 yesterday and buy the end of the day it was getting alot more snappy not one problem pulled hard but didnt rail like my other xfire and I couldnt get up enough on it like I could my other one..I didnt have any flaming but I do have alot of soot on the right side of my pan ..I really hate where this exhaust is I think they should step up and move these down in the pan..Fuel milage was good on mine too I took a gallon less than my wifes f6 on this run..Maybe I will have better luck than others are but I really hope cat steps up and fixes these issues that people are having..

·
Registered
82 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (favoritos @ Mar 10 2007, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I ride with guys that bleed green and they are not too happy about getting to know the service guys and dealers in every area that we ride. The service has been excellent when the dealer knew what to do toward fixing the problem.

This model has left them all stumped. Cat appears to be stumped as well. I keep telling these guys that the exhaust is in the wrong place. Re flashing the ECU did nothing. Many people say the M sleds have had the exhaust in the ski well for years with no problems. I know that a M sled would be overheating riding down the long straight trails, so I think that they would never run long enough to see the issue. Either way, exhaust out the bottom wouldn't start the plastic on fire like these things do so easily.

This has been the worst year for problems by far. Normally we may lose a part of one trip for a bad piston, etc. We were in the shop at least once during every trip this year and the sled sat at the dealer back home virtually all the time between trips. The end result was nothing was fixed and the last trip had the worst outcome of the year. That is the part that really sucks. Where do we go now? I love the ride of the CF and it's ability to get through the junk, but how can you trust the sled?[/b]

You said it exactly. Mine also started onfire and it is a direct result of the exhaust design. They welded an extension piece and problem solved. It is pretty hard for m machines to catch on fire when riding in 6 feet of snow all the time dont you think?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Holy :turd: !!!!

James,

Another member referred me to this post. I didn't realize you started a new one.

I've been waiting for your feedback upon your return.

All I can say is that I'm sorry to see that your season has been as crazy as mine. Hopefully... you didn't lose any valuables in the flames as well.

IMHO... I feel AC owes you 2 new sleds of your choice.

0 $$$ with options as well. An AC Executive, marketing manager, or higher should phone you directly and ask what you would like. By the time they deal with legal expenses, etc. It would be less expensive to take care of you directly!

I am waiting to hear from AC in this very manner. I never opened mine up for any length on the rail beds... but I feel that I would of had the same results with the prior reflashed ECU.

LOL with your issues... Keep us all informed.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts