Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after doing a lot of thinking about which brand of quad to purchase, I went with the Arctic Cat. It is a 2011 450 TRV. Well, needless to say, I am starting to get really ticked off with it.

With less than 300 km's on the machine I had to bring it to the dealer for the following problems:
- Touring Windshield kept vibrating loose
- The little black box that puts the quad into 4x4 was full of water and shorted out (leaving me stuck on a bear hunting trip with only 2wd)
- Checked the oil and it was almost EMPTY!!

With less than 500 km's on the machine I had to bring it to the dealer for the following problems:
- Touring Windshield kept vibrating loose (Had to put on aftermarket screws and bolts to get it to stay in place)
- A total of five bolts on my wheels were sheared off. (Dealer said that the lugs must have been overtightened when the bike was assembled).
- Machine would not start due to a shot spark plug

Now with less than 1500 km's on the machine I have to bring it to the dealer for the following problems:
- Another wheel bolt is sheared off
- Oil has all disappeared again
- The positive wire has a short and you have to take the seat off and wiggle the wire to start the quad on times (a real pain in the #$$)
- And to top it all off, now it will not start....not even making an attempt to start.

Before this quad I had a 1992 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4x4 and never had a problem with that machine. I just needed to get something suitable for two riders and figured that the "Cat" would do the trick. Boy was I wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Well, after doing a lot of thinking about which brand of quad to purchase, I went with the Arctic Cat. It is a 2011 450 TRV. Well, needless to say, I am starting to get really ticked off with it.

With less than 300 km's on the machine I had to bring it to the dealer for the following problems:
- The little black box that puts the quad into 4x4 was full of water and shorted out (leaving me stuck on a bear hunting trip with only 2wd)

With less than 500 km's on the machine I had to bring it to the dealer for the following problems:
- Touring Windshield kept vibrating loose (Had to put on aftermarket screws and bolts to get it to stay in place)
- A total of five bolts on my wheels were sheared off. (Dealer said that the lugs must have been overtightened when the bike was assembled).

Now with less than 1500 km's on the machine I have to bring it to the dealer for the following problems:
- The positive wire has a short and you have to take the seat off and wiggle the wire to start the quad on times (a real pain in the #$$)
- And to top it all off, now it will not start....not even making an attempt to start.

Before this quad I had a 1992 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4x4 and never had a problem with that machine. I just needed to get something suitable for two riders and figured that the "Cat" would do the trick. Boy was I wrong.
Sounds like dealer prep on most of the issues you are describing. Sheared wheel studs are either over or under torqued. Did you check the oil upon receiving the vehicle from dealer each time? If not did they ever top it off/change it in the first place, is the question you have to ask yourself. Also, did you check the oil level with the dipstick screwed in or not, have to check owners manual for proper technique. Wiggling the positive wire either means something is loose or worn, which if it's loose would again be dealer prep issue. Also, how many oil changes have you done in those 1500km's, 1? 2? none?, I'm guessing it should have had at least 2 by now, but again owners manual would tell you the recommendations. The spark plug issue is the only thing that I have heard about on here a few times, and it is generally caused by a lot of start it, shut it down situations, and I think a few of the guys changed the plug to a different style and solved that issue, and hopefully they will chime in.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Threadlock blue gel on the windshield bolts threadlock blue on most any bolt/nut you take off. Wheel lugs were probably over-torqued by dealership, they probably just used an impact and not a torque wrench.

·
Administrator
38,969 Posts
X2 ... Get a dealer that knows what they are doing!!

·
Registered
3,774 Posts

And then you came here and join this site just to complain.

·
Administrator
38,969 Posts
That's what I was thinking. One post

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the suggestions on how to solve some of my problems. As for the people that only think that I am complaining, well, I am very sorry. When I pay $10 000 for a new machine, I expect quality. In my next post I will just talk about Unicorns, Lollipops and RainbowsClap

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Thanks guys for the suggestions on how to solve some of my problems. As for the people that only think that I am complaining, well, I am very sorry. When I pay $10 000 for a new machine, I expect quality. In my next post I will just talk about Unicorns, Lollipops and RainbowsClap
That's better. slaphappy

·
Registered
340 Posts
Only my opinion but it sounds like whoever did the PDI on that machine didn't do there job.

Reactions: doorfx

·
Registered
3,774 Posts

Nowhere in your first post did you even remotely ask for any help, all you did was complain and your second isn't much smarter.

·
Registered
320 Posts
shoulda kept the ol' yammy...those will go through hell and back...OR shoulda bought a can am!!! Having almost no oil after 300km's was your first sign.

Im gonna get nailed to the wall for saying that...LOL I love arctic cat snowmobiles, but not the bikes....

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Snowmobiles and QUADS are not "use and put away" machines. They need a general going over after each significant use. And as for paying $10000 for it, shouldn't it get regular care and maintenance? Just sayin. :)

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Sorry, I'm a hands on guy.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I understand the venting. I feel for ya. I would find a new dealer. I would be willing to bet the next time you post it would be about the great ride you had...Good luck.

·
Administrator
38,969 Posts
shoulda kept the ol' yammy...those will go through hell and back...OR shoulda bought a can am!!! Having almost no oil after 300km's was your first sign.

Im gonna get nailed to the wall for saying that...LOL I love arctic cat snowmobiles, but not the bikes....
2007 I bought it new and have 0 problems. However I do check my oil on a regular basis. Best atv I have ever owned. Sorry you got a lemon dealer.
I agree ,if you came here just to complain and bash move on. If you want help ask and you shall receive. If you think any brand is infallible, think again. I have towed a couple of yammmies home.

·
Registered
320 Posts
And when you check your oil, is it always low like the OP said...he didnt say anything about NOT checking the oil. He just said that it was low when he checked it...REALLY low and only after 300km

...friggin dealers....LOL

I'll agree that every brand has lemons...100%...some more then others tho

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
thats what happens when unicorns do the pdi

·
Administrator
7,932 Posts
Owner manual will tell you how to check the oil. On Arctic Cat quads, even in the same year, there are 2 different ways to check..threaded in or not. I have to look it up in the manual because our 07 is checked differently than our 09.
next question, where is the oil going?. Out the breather? in the air filter box? leaking around the filter? or is it burning it out the tailpipe? How much oil is it using/leaking?
This is the first time I ever heard of lugs snapping off. Loosen them all and then tighten to specs with a torque wrench.
Have your dealer note the oil consumption, or it might come back to haunt ya.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts