Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading to the Big Horns this coming weekend and have never been there before. We are not sure if we should head north or stick to the southern area. Since we've never been there before we're looking for any advice. I think we'll stay in either Sheridan or Buffalo. Got any suggestions for us? Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Out there last March, stayed at Bears Lodge near Burguess Jct. Had a great time. Found a good mix of riding but snow conditions were not the best as they had come off a warm and very windy few days before we arrived. Last time I looked at their web site it hadn't updated in awhile so I'm wondering If they have anything for snow. Let us know how it goes and where you decided. Geez I don't know if theres anything ridable anywhere this year and I'm getting serious withdrawl issues:Bangin:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Was debating on this as well after a trip to the Hills, but couldn't find any info on current conditions

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got a report from some guys that went last week. Said conditions are ok. Trails are beat and there is some fun to be had off trail. Been told we need to wait until February so the base it better and being that we can't get reservations at any of the lodges and would have to drive from Sheridan daily we are going to pass on the trip. We will be going in March and should have a detailed report then...if we don't get the itch before then! We are headed to the Black Hills the first weekend in February. Sounds like trails are ok there.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We moved our trip to Hills to the first week in February, hopefully they have better snow by then. For both our sakes

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
What can you tell me about the Hills. Never been there so tell me a little about it and what kind of riding to expect if they get snow. Got to imagine not good right now with the tri-state region busting high temp records like we have.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've never been out there for sledding but I have went snowboarding there a few times. I imagine it will be a blast, although I'm not sure about my sled situation yet. I was gonna long track my 01 Sno Pro but I think I'll spend more time rejetting and adjusting that sled than riding it. Might just buy a new sled this year for that trip and sell off the 440 after this season. We haven't decided on a location yet or a definate date, basically waiting for the snow

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We've been riding the Black Hills for years. The trail riding is generally pretty good and there are ample places to jump off and ride in the trees or hit some back country if you'd like. It is very scenic. We concentrate our riding in the northern part of the Hills as it seems the trails are in better condition up there. We usually stay in Spearfish and trailer to Spearfish Canyon Lodge and ride out of there. I would ride up to Cement Ridge for sure, it's breathtaking. The Buckhorn Barn is kind of a neat place and you can stop at Trailshead and get a bite to eat and fuel up. The ride to Black Fox is fun too. If you plan to ride around Deadwood there are generally a TON of people around there and the trails are kind of torn up. There are places you can stay in Deadwood that you can ride right out of so that's one bonus of going there. If you're looking for trail conditions you can follow this link to the SD Game Fish and Parks website. SD GFP | Things to do | Snowmobile | Trial Conditions
You can also follow on Twitter @SDSnowBHills and they update the general areas daily or at least they try to when there's snow.

Hopefully we'll see you guys out there. I think there's something for everyone. Sounds like people have been riding the trails but and they are in fair condition but they just picked up some snow last night. We've got enough in East Central SD that we are getting the sleds out tonight to run around the yard. My son can't wait to get his F120 out and rip around. Should be exciting!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Lucky, all we got was a light dusting this morning here in SW MN. Definetely excited about our Hills trip, whenever that will be lol. The plan is to cruise over to somewhere in the Big Horns after that, hoping that both places have better riding conditions

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Thats about all we got too, Nick. Reba must be living right------well maybe just a little better then us. At least it cooled down. Thanks for the info Reba, we going to take a look at possibly the Hills. Our group is a mixed bag from 12yrs to 50 something so we do look for a little of everything to keep everyone happy. Best part is seeing the faces of the young guys on that first ride/trip into the real snow. Happy Sledding tonight- I'm jealous

1 - 10 of 10 Posts